Z3 spare wheel size (space saver)

Zorg

Zorg Addict
Information found by micklaw when replacing his.

The size of a replacement space saver for the Z3 is 125/80 R16 98M

120 pcd with 5 stud

Last edited by a moderator:

Acousticplayer

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Hi thanks for that.That is interesting as mine which by the state of it must be the original is a 15 in showing 125/90/R15. However by my calculation the rolling radius is about the same.
Have pulled out a BMW wheel fitment guide and it appears that all the three series 5stud wheels have a PCD of 120 and a bore of 72.6 the same as the Z so there is probably plenty of choice.
Thanks again.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Mine is a 125/90/15 which is the original one from my 1998 2.8.

Gundun

Zorg Legend
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Line Individual
A question that popped up in my head: if you puncture a tyre during a trip when having a fully loaded car, will the puntured wheel fit in the spare tyre compartment or would I have to dispose a good 17inch alloy wheel? :bored:

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
i cant see where a 8.5J rear z3 wheel would fit!

i binned my spacesaver instead

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
A question that popped up in my head: if you puncture a tyre during a trip when having a fully loaded car, will the puntured wheel fit in the spare tyre compartment or would I have to dispose a good 17inch alloy wheel? :bored:
Only place your 17 would go would be your passenger seat or lap which ever was applicable at the time

mrscalex

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
BMW famously included a little branded plastic bag to put your road wheel in and locate inside the car. Most will have long gone from the car.

5harp3y

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Only place your 17 would go would be your passenger seat or lap which ever was applicable at the time
Can you imagine!

Here you go dear, can you just pop this massive dirty wheel on your lap for a few miles! haha

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I've had this issue before and luckily didn't have a passenger. An 18" wheel will sit on your passenger seat, and make a nice mess on a rainy day!

As HT says though, the concept of making your passenger sit with a wheel on their lap is pretty dangerous. Not only because of the death in the article, but also if you end up having any form of accident while doing so. If I had a passenger with me, my road wheel would have been hidden in a hedge and collected later on.

Gundun

Zorg Legend
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Line Individual
A good thing to keep in the car, albeit very expensive for what is it (really...a kitchen top mat and two belts) can be this:

So you can put your flat tyre on the boot without making a mess inside the cabin or leaving it....