Z3 prices

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
I happened to look at all the Z3s for sale on AT the other day, as was looking at the £25k Sytner offering.

£1,200 to £25k and almost everywhere in between. That is a BIG variation, no matter what the specifics of the cars are.
3 Litres are asking £10k plus! 2.8s are averaging around £8k. There are a few 1.9s for £8k ish.
Are the bigger sixes really becoming that sought after, or are there a LOT of very deluded people around?

I think it may be the latter, especially when potential sellers see the ridiculous price of the Synter one. Easy to think your car should be worth somewhere near that if they are asking it.

The used car market is very slow in general this year and prices are falling. You can pick a decent M54 3 litre E85 Z4 up for around £4K now, so why the high prices of Z3s? I'm not counting the Ms as they are a different market.

ChrisD

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
M44
I've only really been looking at the 1.9s and people couldn't give them away for £1000 in the winter. We're now in the 'silly season' where everyone thinks that everyone wants a convertible and chances their arm accordingly. The Z3 is, I think, now transitioning from 'old' to 'classic' - at least in some minds. The Z4 has a few years until it reaches this point.
As always, asking and getting are 2 different things.

Jam03

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
I think the average asking price and actual selling prices are very different. Those that go on at high prices typically stay there for ages. There are plenty of cars on AutoTrader that have been there at the same price since I first started looking almost 3yrs ago. Good reasonably priced cars tend to sell quickly.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Still far to many 2.8s òn the market to command much over £5k I'd say (with the odd exception). To most it's just a 25+ year old car. A good 3.0 will always command a higher price than an equally good 2.8 because they were made for a much shorter time so less around. It'll be a few years yet before they go up significantly, if indeed they ever do.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
It'll be a few years yet before they go up significantly, if indeed they ever do.
Try telling that to the sellers on AT!
Just for fun I put mine into WBAC. 2001 3 litre, 54k miles.....£1,315.00.
As said, EVERY 3 litre on AT is £10k or above. That is one hell of a difference.

Motorway wouldn't quote as the car is too old!

Last edited:

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Try telling that to the sellers on AT!
Just for fun I put mine into WBAC. 2001 3 litre, 54k miles. £1,315.00. As said, EVERY 3 litre on AT is £10k or above. That is one hell of a difference.

Motorway wouldn't quote as the car is too old!
TBF I'd chance my arm with a high price too, their's always a mug that's prepared to pay well over the odds. You can always come down in price.

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
There is a another view to this and that is if we all just give our zeds away cheap then the marque will never gain any decent long term residuals.
Nice or rare zeds in my view should be pitched a bit above the mainstream riff raff.
Like my silver 2.8 auto.
1 previous owner 35k on clock
Hardtop, extended leather , air con in immaculate condition no way i would let that go for a penny less than 8.5k as if you look at whats on offer for around 5 - 6k then mine would definitely be worth a chunk more than them.

Stephen.

bronty

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto pre facelift
Having recently bought a Z3 I looked at the market and with some advice from here I bought a 2.8 auto with 86k on the clock with full service history for £4k.I keep seeing the imports asking £5k+ a black one on eBay that not moved for a year comes to mind.
I was watching Bangers and Cash a while back and they where saying the old classics pre 60s are getting harder to sell because the people who are now buying can not drive them and the ones who can are getting too old.
Now we see more and more a push to electric cars(all auto) that more people are now only driving autos and young drivers passing there test in auto.In the near future I think manual cars will sadly be history and the price will drop accordingly.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I sold my pre face-lift 4 years ago for £4700.
I've just bought an e85 mechanically superb but ready in my eyes for some cosmetics for a lot less than at. At the moment a nice 3 demands more than a 4 (correct models obviously). 1.9 have never demanded the same price as a 6 cylinder car (no inc the 2.0). A good 6 cylinder 2.8 or 3.0 will only go up if looked after. The market for the 2.2 is also good.

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
I have a 3.0 with 122k miles. I have rebuilt the engine, gearbox, LSD, all cooling pipes been changed, every gasket, every panel has been off, rust treated, new sills, now being resprayed at a cost of just shy of 2k. Realistically I have spent way over what it is worth. Think I would be lucky to push 6k for it and that is probably what I have spent on it. Someone in my view would be getting a free car if it went for 6k but even that I think would be a push. The 03 z4 I have up for 5.5k and had 2 bites in a week but both offering 2.5k. I said they could have it for that if they brought the other half of the car! Again I have nearly spent 4k on that.
Not sure either the Z3 or Z4 will command great prices unless they become super old and rare and I'll be long gone by that time!

Chamber66

British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Reality is no one really wants them at the moment. It seems you can't give a 4 cylinder one away so they are being broken up for parts. Both my mate and I paint under 2k for our 2.8's. Mine needed a little work and my friends nothing. The cars are old now and many have maintenance issues. , so difficult to sell.

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
Reality is no one really wants them at the moment. It seems you can't give a 4 cylinder one away so they are being broken up for parts. Both my mate and I paint under 2k for our 2.8's. Mine needed a little work and my friends nothing. The cars are old now and many have maintenance issues. , so difficult to sell.
As I found with my Z3 once I started removing bits from the engine the consumable parts just crumbled so ended up replacing everything just so I did not have to do it in the future. I think if you buy one as an investment you are going be very disappointed

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
It seems like a lot of the prices out there are artificially high. Could be because some dealers are pricing really low mileage ones at ridiculously high prices (as a bit of a punt) and others are seeing these and valuing their cars accordingly; ie artificially high?

It also could be that cars like the Z3 are generally now owned as a weekend, or 'fun' car, so people don't "need" to sell them if they are on the market. If you are not bothered about selling, you can put whatever price you like and hope you get a bite.

I don't really understand the above, as if I want to sell a car, I want to sell it so will price it so it sells (quickly) and I can move on.

bear2020

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0 & Z4 2.5
My 1997 M44 is worth £30K; no takers, best I keep it!! :)
I know what I have and not willing to take a penny less for my z4 up for sale that is worth 100k and I only want £5495

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
2.8 Widebody
Can you be buried in a Z3?....would make a fantastic coffin.

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
MSport 23i Highline
I recently sold my 1998 'S' reg M44 with just under 55k miles on eBay for £5,250 having listed it for £5,500. At the same time I listed my '58' plate E86 with 140k for £6,750 - that went for £6,250. The other week my '59' plate E89 with 108k miles went for £5,000 to a forum member and my '51' plate 1.9i with 135k went on eBay for £3,400.

I bought my current 'T' reg prefacelift 2.8 on 64k with the hardtop off Facebook for what I considered to be half it's value.

Both of the Z3’s were in very good condition and went relatively local with nearly a 12 month MOT. The E86 was starting to rust on the rear arches and had a 6 month MOT. The E89 was in good condition and had a 10 month MOT.

For me it's definitely a buyers market at the minute especially for the Z3’s - what some people are willing to let them go for is quite frankly a joke.