• You can only post For Sale adverts once you have been a member for 3 days and made 5 posts elsewhere on the site.

For Sale Z3 prefacelift auto electric roof retro fit kit

spurs fan in a coupe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Joined
Dec 5, 2011
Points
190
As photo - working

£180 delivered to mainland UK

01ABA744-3EBC-4D63-91A0-0EF4CDDCFED5.webp
 
If my Z came with a manual roof from the factory would this be a ‘plug and play’ fit?
 
Yes, I think I have a facelift kit somewhere too

I have the boot brackets for mounting the reservoir too - that’s a bit more of a job
 
Hmmm. Just wondering if it’s a reasonable job to convert my ‘97 1.9 from manual to electric. Would make the wife happy...
 
I’m sure someone who has done it can advise on the level of difficulty. Getting the parts fitted isn’t too tricky. You need to join the electrical connector as you have to cut it to remove as it’s threaded through the skeleton of the roof frame from the factory, and mounting the reservoir in the boot is originally a pair of spot welded brackets from the factory.
 
Why would you bother? The manual Z3 is quicker to operate than the auto and far less to go wrong. Our E36 convertible has a fully auto roof (also latches the windscreen which the Z3 doesn't). It is of course a much larger roof and a brilliant mechanism to behold; every time I operate it though I wonder if............ The Z3 manual is much better for my well being!!
 
Did you miss the part about making his wife happy. I don’t know many women who could turn in the seat and lift a manual roof. My wife couldn’t manage to do that in an MX5.

Tony.
 
Did you miss the part about making his wife happy. I
His wife won't be happy when it goes wrong. You need to get out of the car to close the manual roof in any case.
 
I'd take a chance. I know a lot if Z3 owners, but not one of them has had an issue with the electric roof opening.

Tony.
 
What I liked about it on my Z3 was the fact you could raise or lower the roof below 20 mph safely, so if/when it did start to rain you didn't need to stop to put the roof up, merely slow down enough.

Tony.
 
Just can't see why you'd bother retro fitting this. Had 3 Z3 s and much preferred the manual roof. Much quicker to operate as most of the operation is manual with the so called 'auto' roof. Plus the Z3 roof looks untidy when down without the tonneau so you've got to get out to remove the tonneau anyway. Still, it's up to the owner to do whatever suits them.
 
Can't see how it is quicker when you actually have to pull up and get out of the car? I do agree re the roof cover. I never used mine. E85 system is better for sure. But even better is the E89, which are not without their gremlins.

Tony.
 
Back
Top