Z3 HID

ticklemejoviemo

i just bought the Xenoflo HID retrofit kit for my 9006 bulbs, should be receiving next week. now, as far as i recall some later Zs had HID option correct? mine are '02s and neither has them.

so, when i install these, i'd like to have the ballasts more out of sight, and i know its pretty cramped in the engine bay (3.0). so, where would you recommend stuffing them away, and also where did factory put them if infact they were available. thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ferdinand

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3 3.0iA Sport Edition
Stop!!!

Z3 were never made with HID / xenon headlamps. And installing bulbs in the original headlamp will blind oncoming traffic - and your Insurance might not pay in case of an accident.

Cars with xenon must have autolevelling headlights and headlight washers as well.

I'm currently working on a set of bi-xenon projector headlamps with all of the above mentioned things and unless you're willing to spend up to 1500 pounds to buy all of the above mentioned things - forget it!

ticklemejoviemo

i could have sworn that there were oem hids when the later year models came out, hm... so, whats this autoleveling business?

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
FWIW mines a 2002, one of the last built but has standard headlamps, no HID.

ticklemejoviemo

hm, whoda thunk it. well, good to know. where do you live where HIDs make you not covered assuming accident?

ticklemejoviemo

also, what about changing all other bulbs to led bulbs, is that something that could work?

Ferdinand

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Z3 3.0iA Sport Edition
No matter where you live - All Insurance companies will decline paying if you install something in your car that isn't legal / has passed the MOT / TÜV etc.

You can adjust the headlights from inside the car - with an autolevelling system the car automaticly adjusts the angle of the headlamps to avoid the car/ lights from blinding oncoming traffic. As mentioned in my first post autolevelling and headlamps washers are mandatory when the car has HID.
The washers are too prevent the driver from getting blinded by his own headlams in case the lights are dirty - in that case most of the light will be projected upwards and you can't see where you're going = very big risk of :banghead:

ticklemejoviemo

dammit! well thanks for the info. any idea on the leds for all others?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
ticklemejoviemo, what vehicle checks do you have in Massachusetts, if any?

These guys are over your side of the big pond, and they upgrade standard Z3 headlights - http://www.tc2auto.com. A quote from their site...

Need light? Let there be light! We retrofit weak halogen reflector headlights with intense and powerful xenon and bi-xenon projectors. Just want a simple angel eye install or LED strip install? We do that too! Rather do the work yourself? We also sell retrofit kits if you are a DIYer! All projects require an initial consultation to assess the needs and wants of the buyer.​ $75-$1000

There are a ton of photos here too https://www.facebook.com/TC2Auto/photos_stream

I have no experience of their products at all, and I'm not making a recommendation, but may be worth contacting them about their kits.

ticklemejoviemo

upon further research turns out op was def correct, federal law against retros. however, seeing as how its a modern vehicle and not a 1947, and considering its a bmw, i think itd be a lot less suspect. according to some forums, some MA cops typucally dont bother unless youre really making your presense known