Z3 Cranks but sometimes does not start.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Recently I sensed there is a tough start. To overcome the problem I’ve been waiting to turn over 3 seconds after the dash lights disappear. Seems to have worked - but once in a while it really struggles to start (need to wait a few minutes).
Not 100% sure what’s going on - but I sense it’s a failed one-way valve in the fuel pump. I guess I can verify by checking with a pressure gauge.
As I’m really fed up going into the fuel pump - I’m going to try a more superficial option. Today’s plan is to insert a small one way valve inline with the fuel filter (6mm). Any thoughts?
I’ll update.

Attachments

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
Sounds like the cam position sensor may be faulty.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I agree, and, they don’t always throw a fault code.

Tony.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Before I proceed, is there a way to confirm it’s the cam sensor if it does not throw a code?

AntStark

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 3.0 Sport
Try it on a code reader..might not trigger the engine warning light but the fault may be stored. If replacing don’t buy a cheap one. If you have an M43 1.9 then I think the OEM ones were made by Delphi.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Before I proceed, is there a way to confirm it’s the cam sensor if it does not throw a code?
Replace it with a "known" good one.

Tony.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
1. I guess Delphi or MEYLE
2. For everyone’s benefit - I will diagnose and update before throwing any parts at the car.
3. Just curious - why the cam position sensor and not the crankshaft sensor which seem to make more sense to me?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
It does make more sense, but just I'm going on past experience. When my crankshaft sensor packed it wouldn't start at all.

Tony.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Update:
1. Checked codes with a reader - nada. (Bought a MEYLE camshaft sensor which will now gather dust).
2. Attached a pressure gauge inline at the inlet of the fuel filter ( below the LHD driver - easy access when on a lift - only need to release 4 nuts on the protective cover.).
Turning on the pump - pressure went up to 50psi as expected. Turned off the pump and after a 20 minute wait, the pressure went down to 34psi.
I have seen online that a drop of 7psi is ok, but 15psi implies a problematic one way valve in the pump. So “NASA we have a problem”.
3. As mentioned above, I’ve become fed up accessibg the fuel pump/gauge - so as I was already into the fuel line - inserted the one way valve ($5) before the fuel filter. There was room - needed to add a bit of 6mm id pipe.
Pic attached.
I hope this sorts it out. The issue was erratic so I’ll only know on a few weeks.

Attachments

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Ok - first 24 hours was erratic - but seems to have settled down.
Next steps:
1. Continue to monitor before deciding to remove the one way valve (as the way I put it in there is a 180degree bend in pipe and I fear at some point it will bend and limit flow).
2. Try replacing the starter relay - next to my left knee (LHD)
3. One other failure mechanism reported has been the ignition switch. I’ll see how things get on.
4. For completion: the camshaft sensor has solved this issue for some (even though no codes were thrown)
5. If/when I remove the one-way valve, I guess I’lll need to replace the fuel pump as the one way valve is failing.
I’ll update.

Last edited:

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
I'm a bit late to the party, maybe, but a faulty cam sensor doesn't always throw a fault code. There again, it sounds like it doesn't need fixing any more, but, just in case.......
What would be the symptoms if faulty?

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
On my 2000 2.0 Z3 when the inlet cam was failing it would sometimes fail to start straight away and didn't respond to the throttle. Also after a shortish run trying to start with a lukewarm engine it would wind over and over and eventually start and run raf.

Tony.

ps. Read "rough as . . . .";)

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Does our fuel pump turn off a few seconds after turning the key one position (when lights on the dash go out) - or does it continuously push fuel even before turning the key another position to start the engine?

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
What would be the symptoms if faulty?
Much like Mr t-tony says, it was one of those intermittent ones, makes it hard to sort out. In the end I took a punt on a new sensor and it's been fine for the last few years.

Does our fuel pump turn off a few seconds after turning the key one position (when lights on the dash go out) - or does it continuously push fuel even before turning the key another position to start the engine?
IIRC, the pump turns on (with the key) runs for a few seconds to get pressure in the system, and then relies on getting a signal from somewhere to reassure it that the engine has started. I've not had any problems in that direction, so I haven't bothered looking further. Lazy tw@.:whistle:

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Much like Mr t-tony says, it was one of those intermittent ones, makes it hard to sort out. In the end I took a punt on a new sensor and it's been fine for the last few years.

IIRC, the pump turns on (with the key) runs for a few seconds to get pressure in the system, and then relies on getting a signal from somewhere to reassure it that the engine has started. I've not had any problems in that direction, so I haven't bothered looking further. Lazy tw@.:whistle:
My question was to clarify if in the case where the one-way valve on the pump fails, would it help to wait a few more seconds (say 5) prior to cranking the engine (or does the pump turn off after say a couple of seconds when the lights turn off? (…and in such a case it may help to turn the key off and the on again to pump more fuel - and then turn on the ignition)