Z3 boot floor cover

davidrbroder62

Did the Z3 come with a hard cover insert for the boot? The twit who owned the car before me seems to have made one out of plywood which is now falling apart. I would think that for what this car cost when new they would have made a hard plastic or fiber board insert. I just can't seem to find one.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
yes. z3 has a boot mat/cover thing. It's quite rigid so your stuff doesn't droop into the battery tray.

Here's one on the bay in the usa.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165165129637

Not saying you should buy that. I just wanted to show you pictures so you know what you're looking for.

davidrbroder62

Thanks, I took a look but it doesn't look like it's made of hard plastic covered in carpet.
It looks flimsy. If this is the type of thing available it's not what I'm looking for at all and I suspect that's why the person who owned my car made his own. I was just hoping that the people at BMW had the smarts to make one for the Z3. They are German after all.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Thanks, I took a look but it doesn't look like it's made of hard plastic covered in carpet.
It looks flimsy. If this is the type of thing available it's not what I'm looking for at all and I suspect that's why the person who owned my car made his own. I was just hoping that the people at BMW had the smarts to make one for the Z3. They are German after all.
Ask Andy @spurs fan in a coupe

Tony.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
They are plenty strong enough.

davidrbroder62

They are plenty strong enough.
Not for me. The one in my JagXK8 was hard enough to put fairly heavy weight on it without it breaking. I'm disappointed in BMW for not providing something that is not only useful but also needed. I thought BMW would think this through. This is my 1st BMW, my first German car actually as I've always been a Jag man. I would have thought that the Germans could make cars as well as they made ovens.

Nodzed

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
Z3M Imola and Z4 (e89)
Not for me. The one in my JagXK8 was hard enough to put fairly heavy weight on it without it breaking. I'm disappointed in BMW for not providing something that is not only useful but also needed. I thought BMW would think this through. This is my 1st BMW, my first German car actually as I've always been a Jag man. I would have thought that the Germans could make cars as well as they made ovens.
As you like and each to their own etc. Can't imagine what you want to put in a Z3 boot heavier than suitcases though which is pretty much what it's designed for.

davidrbroder62

As you like and each to their own etc. Can't imagine what you want to put in a Z3 boot heavier than suitcases though which is pretty much what it's designed for.
I'm not sure that what I've seen available would even handle luggage, or groceries.

davidrbroder62

Sounds like yours has been swapped for a weaker version.

the standard is strong. I’ve stored spare rear arms and diffs and batteries on them no problem
The one that's in there now was homemade out of cheap plywood by the person who owned the car in the past. The plywood is rotten and falling apart.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I'm not sure that what I've seen available would even handle luggage, or groceries.
Are you sure?

Directly under the boot floor cover is the tool tray. Wheel brace, jack, spanner, screwdriver and odds and sods. The actual cover itself doesn't need to be very strong because it's supported under its entire area by the tool tray.

Screenshot 2024-08-25 at 15.30.00.jpg

You see that the tool tray is nice and flat. It's the tool tray that actually supports your luggage. With the tool tray in place you could stand in the back without the floor covering/carpet collapsing.

Is your tool tray missing?

davidrbroder62

No, the tool tray is there but it doesn't seem to fit exactly flat. I'll have to take a closer look. I don't know why some pin head previous owner made his own out of cheap plywood rather than just buying a new one.

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
MSport 23i Highline
I had one in an E85 but never seen one for a Z3. However, the parts catalogue I ha e suggests they did one and according to RealOEM it's still available.

Problem is it will only fit cars with with a front battery - never seen one of those either.

20240825_173330.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_173911_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_173948_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240825_174040_Chrome.jpg