Z3 2.8 down on power...................

chocolatedog

Hi again to all!
Ive just bought a 2000 Z3 2.8 and have noticed that when i start from cold (no problem) and drive off all is
ok and the car pulls very well,as soon as it starts to warm up the car doesnt pull as well and is down on power,
It idles ok (all be it a bit low at 700rpm) but there is definate hesitation when warm.
Any ideas please?
Ive had a few 2.8 engined cars (old 528) and they were a lot more responsive when at working temp.
Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance
Mike :) :(

r37

Dedicated Member
could be loads of things, i'd start with getting a code reader just to see if there is anything going on that doesnt trigger the engine light. Could be the oxygen sensors on their way out messing up the air/fuel ratio, a vac line warming and going soft then leaking, leaky intake/exhaust manifold expanding and letting in air or maybe even the MAF. Are there any other problems/changes in exhaust note/ect?

chocolatedog

Thanks for the reply,there's no real exhaust
Note change but there's seems to be more induction noise,took
The airfilter out (looks like it's not been changed
In ages - new one ordered)as of yet not tried it,
Correct me if I am wrong but on cold starts the
Mixture will be rich and as it warms up it will
Lean off, all controlled by the temp sensors and the
ECU, definate power loss as it warms up.have
checked the inlet pipes etc and all seem ok,have
Unplugged the MAF whilst it's running- revs drop slightly
Then return to normal. Same happens when I refit
The plug.........
Cheers
Mike

Freds Dad

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
You need to plug it into a code reader. If you tell folk what area you are in someone may offer you the use of one. If you are in The Cheshire area then I have one you can use.

chocolatedog

Thanks for the replies guys,guess its a code reader then..................anybody around the York area got one? dont really want
to go down the rip off dealer route........LOL!
thanks in advance,
Mike

chocolatedog

Hello again................................UPDATE!
Managed to locate a code reader,
1x error code stored......PO 340 Canshaft sensor A, Bank 1, Curcuit malfunction!
We cleared the error,started the engine and re-checked,error returned,guess the sensor is faulty?
Which sensor is it Inlet or exhaust? I guess inlet (under the manifold at the front of the engine on the r/h side)
Cheers.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Found this which may help, but has a slightly different description for the fault code you have given...

http://engine-codes.com/p0340.html - Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Malfunction

Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Lack/Loss of Power
- Engine Stall

http://engine-codes.com/p0340_bmw.html - Camshaft Sensor Inlet Signal

Freds Dad

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I had my camshaft sensor replaced yesterday by Darren Wood BMW in Bredbury. I intended to do it my self but couldn't get the sensor off so took it to them.

The part was £82 from the dealer and DW charged me £30 to fit. It's like driving a new car. More response, no stalling and no problems staring when the car is warmed up.

chocolatedog

Am i correct in thinking the code PO340 is the inlet cam sensor? (on the right side of the head looking from the front)
Cheers

heath

Model of Z
Z3 2.0 individual
Yes its underneath the vanos solenoid plus you will have to remove the air box to get to the wiring plug. My car was showing the same error code which suggests inlet cam sensor but after changing it & clearing the codes the same fault code came back, I then got it plugged in to a garages code reader (my mate works in a vauxhall peugot place) and it came up with exhaust cam sensor. I changed that one and the car ran great & now no codes are showing on my code reader. Most people change both at the same time, I didnt bother at first then found I had too

Heath on Tapatalk

chocolatedog

Thanks all for the help............as advised i changed BOTH sensors with OEM parts
and the error codes have gone!!! Drives a lot better too!! Time will tell...... ;)
Mike

Gigsy

Was chatting with a mechanic friend about his old Z3 this morning and he mentioned the exact symptoms you describe.... turned out to be a cam sensor on his too.