Z3 1.9 M43 B19 Camshaft cover breather tube and cleaning advice

Firelizard

Regular Member
British Zeds
Joined
Mar 18, 2025
Points
24
Location
a few miles east of Chester, UK
Model of Z
1.9 Roadster 1999
Hi all, I wanted some advice regarding cleaning the inside of the camshaft cover.

As you can see it's full of black oil sludge, which I'd like to clean-up before refitting and doing an oil change. There seems to be limited information on other forums about this other than 'don't dismantle the breather trap'. Somebody has posted about cleaning the oil trap it with carb cleaner. Is there any recommended way of cleaning this up (I was considering petrol and a toothbrush, avoiding it going into the oil trap, which I was going to then reverse flush)?

Also, is there a recommended way of removing the breather tube from this? It's got a rubber sleeve over the end where it joins the camshaft cover. It seems to be stuck fast (through presumably 28 years of heat cycles), but don't want to pull too hard and break the pipe. I assume the pipe that it's connected to, just has 'barbs' to prevent the pipe being pulled away easily, rather than some single use plastic clip.

Thanks !
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4271.webp
    IMG_4271.webp
    92.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_4274.webp
    IMG_4274.webp
    119.5 KB · Views: 9
A good wash out using Brake Cleaner in an aerosol will get rid of all that black, a good amount of it squirted down the pipe stub should wash out behind the baffle plate. Finally a rinse with clean water and dry it with compressed air if you have a compressor handy.
 
Back
Top