yet another LSD thread

r37

Dedicated Member
I'll get straight to the point. Do i have an LSD. I have a 06/97 2.8 roadster that has done just over 100k and needs the diff oil changing because it whines like a *****. Ive had a look over the net and it seems a contested area, some places state that all 6cyl had an LSD while other say it was an option. Ive had a look over the diff casing and cant find the "S" thats suppost to be stamped on it but its quite rusted so i cant rule it out. I had BMW print me off a build sheet and that doesnt show an LSD fitted so at this point im thinking i dont have one. If anyone can shed any light on it it would be much appreciated. Im also toying witht he idea of putting in LSD oil anyway because it still has the same base weight as the open diff oil.

Frank.A

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
I am 99% sure that all 6pots have LSD.Try putting your VIN into RealOEM.The oil required is Castrol Syntrax Limited Slip 75W140,used to be Castrol SAF-XJ.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I don't profess to know what an LSD is in detail but I've just read an article and learned a little. I'm good at research though so I've found this on Bimmerforums for you :-bd

it wasn't an option and although some brochures mentioned it, LSD wasn't actually put into the schedule until late August 1997...leaving most '97's without...became standard on '98 2.8's...when confronted, dealers stated same song and dance which Z8's got when they discovered it missing from their rides as well: "electronic traction control is same thing"...so if anyone's '97 truly has LSD...very lucky indeed!...my '97 2.8 fully optioned, bought new,with a build date, of July, Z3#070XX..has an open diff(1428258/E8021J;3.15)...Z3

Having said that there is then a debate.....

Original thread link

and then there is this manual check on another forum... quite like the sound of the 2nd option

Either Jack up the rear end and spin the wheels - both the same way is an LSD (IIRC), or more fun - a standing start, 7000rpm, drop the clutch - if the resulting black lines are about the same length, LSD, 1 line much longer than the other, open.

r37

Dedicated Member
real oem just lists a differential, not wether it is open or limited slip. I'd read that thread and its whats confused me a bit. I'll go and have a play with the rear wheels and see what happens. I thaught that all euro 6pot had them fitted too, but now im not so sure.

UPDATE: the ''number 11'' test didnt work. Pleanty of smoke but no black lines strangely.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
It should show up when you go for an MOT too as they can't use the rolling road to test the brakes. it should go on a road test with the old machine and the tester stamps on the brakes to make sure they work and get a reading.

Doesn't answer the question I know but I thought if you have had an MOT recently and spotted this it might be an indication one way or the other.

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
My Mot man always takes the car for
a spin as the ///m has it
It cant be tested on rolling road as stated previously
i alway thought he just liked he car =)) =))

Jamezee

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 sport, Z4 Coupe 3.0Si, E38 728i Oxford green and beige interior
My 2.2 sport has one :D

NeRo

Staff member
Global Moderator
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
IIRC only the M and Sport haves LSDs?

Frank.A

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
2.8 Facelift
It seems most likely that all 6pot from 98 onwards have LSD.My 2.8 has LSD according to the build sheet and RealOEM.