Wrapping console in Carbon Fiber vinyl

Cliffdog

Hello Z people!

I'm in the process of modernizing the interior of my 1999 pre-facelift Z3 Roadster 2.8. Mostly using 3M 2080 Carbon Fiber vinyl to cover, among other things, the fake wood trim pieces in the front half of the center console. I bought a set of used panels and I'm wrapping them in advance. Then I'll take the console our, replace the panels, and reassemble/reinstall.

Does anyone have any suggestions or gotchas to watch out for? I've never removed the center console. I'm going to use the instructions from Pelican Parts' website.

1000005293.jpg

1000005285.jpg

1000005292.jpg

1000005299.jpg

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Watching with interest as wanting to do my dash and centre console around the handbrake area.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Have a butchers on YouTube Dave.

Tony.

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift (Izzy)
Hello Z people!

I'm in the process of modernizing the interior of my 1999 pre-facelift Z3 Roadster 2.8. Mostly using 3M 2080 Carbon Fiber vinyl to cover, among other things, the fake wood trim pieces in the front half of the center console. I bought a set of used panels and I'm wrapping them in advance. Then I'll take the console our, replace the panels, and reassemble/reinstall.

Does anyone have any suggestions or gotchas to watch out for? I've never removed the center console. I'm going to use the instructions from Pelican Parts' website.

View attachment 304659
View attachment 304661
View attachment 304663
View attachment 304665
They look fantastic, great job.

I followed the Pelican Parts instructions the first time I took mine out too and they were perfectly adequate.

IIRC they suggest stripping the footwell trims too, which I don't think is absolutely necessary. Although in the grand scheme of things it's only a handful of screws and a couple of panels each side. No big deal.

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
The biggest gotcha I would point out - as I have tried this multiple times with multiple wraps & even paid to have it done professionally....
Wrap doesn't work on car interiors.... in the heat it will contract, lift and pull away from the corners & tight areas.

These days I get parts hydrodipped - that DOES work in interiors. Wrap looks lovely at first, but doesn't stay that way unfortunately....

Cliffdog

The biggest gotcha I would point out - as I have tried this multiple times with multiple wraps & even paid to have it done professionally....
Wrap doesn't work on car interiors.... in the heat it will contract, lift and pull away from the corners & tight areas.
I'm using the 3M adhesive promoter pens. You still think it will lift?

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i

These days I get parts hydrodipped - that DOES work in interiors. Wrap looks lovely at first, but doesn't stay that way unfortunately....
What sort of cost is hydro dipping please?

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
I'm using the 3M adhesive promoter pens. You still think it will lift?
I had it done once by a 3M accredited wrapping company. They had 3 attempts with it using various products before giving me a refund as they couldn’t get the wrap not to contract in the heat of a car interior in the summer. That was after three attempts of my own to do the same.

So good luck with your attempt but honestly hydrodipping isn’t really any more expensive and it works every time.

Cliffdog

I had it done once by a 3M accredited wrapping company. They had 3 attempts with it using various products before giving me a refund as they couldn’t get the wrap not to contract in the heat of a car interior in the summer. That was after three attempts of my own to do the same.

So good luck with your attempt but honestly hydrodipping isn’t really any more expensive and it works every time.
Thanks. I'll look into that ahead of time in case mine goes fubar.

Can they do a carbon fiber pattern that looks good, or does the liquid cause irregularities? I've only seen abstract patterns done with hydrodip.

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
Yes I have had carbon fibre done in dip - in fact most interior “carbon” effect parts that car manufactures use is just dipped plastic.

Cliffdog

I'm getting a quote on hydro dipping. If it's reasonable that I might change course.

Cliffdog

So, to follow up... I'm sending the parts to Liquid Concepts to be hydro dipped. They do pretty nice work. It'll cost me $600 to $700 USD but It's better than having to redo it every 5 years.

I'll be sure to post photos when they come back.

Cliffdog

Apparently the trim panels have some exposed wood on the back, and it's a gamble as to whether they'll swell and crack after hydro dipping.

I'm taking the chance. I'll post pictures either way when I get them back. Should be late July to mid August. Here's hoping.

Cliffdog

Here it is, installed. Thanks again to 137699 for suggesting hydro dipping.

1000005649.jpg

And with the dial rings:

1000005650.jpg