Wind noise

bronty

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto pre facelift
When I first bought my car.
I drove it from Plymouth to Wigan with the roof up as I was on the motorways.
There was a whistling noise coming from around the top front part of the drivers side window a bit annoying but bearable so I put on my to fix in winter list.
Since I only drove the car with the roof down on nice days while avoiding motorways It was not a problem.Until I had a hardtop.
Now every time I go above 40mph I get the whistling noise.
Reading through here and the web the problem pointed to the top of the Quarterlight (A pilar) and the seal between windscreen pillar around the glass where it meets up with the body of the car.
I taped it up jumped in the passenger side climbed over and took her for a spin.The noise went.
So I removed the door card and fully adjusted the 10mm bolts that control the angle off the A pillar slightly bringing in the top off the door but not enough to close the gap completely.I then applied Gummi Pflege to the seals.The seals look pretty good on the car but the one on the window looks a little tired
The gap is still there and seems to be at the top of the Quarterlight /A pillar on the door where the tired seal is located.
I have look at the door itself and it is lined up to the car perfectly the hinges have no play or witness mark to suggest the door has never been moved.
Can the seal be replaced(can't find a part number) or is it easer to replace the whole Quarterlight or am I missing an easer fix?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

John_B

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 pre-facelift (Izzy)
It may be easier to include some photos?

I had this problem last year:
IMG_1317.jpg

If it's difficult to see what is going on, the window was closing too high and had bust through the rubber seal at the top of the window guide rail. I solved this by adjusting the window regulator limit bolt so that it didn't close too high, and then I replaced the whole quarterlight assembly since that rubber bit at the top of the guide was torn.

If you're looking for part numbers, here are the roof seals:

Window guide (#14, although I bought #14, #11 & glass as an entire assembly from a breaker):

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Wind noise? I'll show what wind noise is like in the early hours of Thursday. ;);)

Tony.