Whining Noise On Full Lock

Mick

Model of Z
Hi All,

Has anyone had a whining noise on full lock, and how to resolve? I think it is the PS pump overloading? Just wondered if anyone had encountered before I get my hands dirty....

Z3 Roadster - 2.2 (2002)

Thanks in advance

Macca

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.5l Msport
Hi All,

Has anyone had a whining noise on full lock, and how to resolve? I think it is the PS pump overloading? Just wondered if anyone had encountered before I get my hands dirty....

Z3 Roadster - 2.2 (2002)

Thanks in advance
Yup, it's the pump loading up. I had it on my Z3.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
I would check the fluid level as well. My daughter had it on her TT and the fluid was low.

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Hi - if you hold the wheel against the full lock stop it will whine as it is overloaded and can damage the hydraulics - when you relax the pressure on the wheel it should stop. Check fluid level just in case.

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Hi - if you hold the wheel against the full lock stop it will whine as it is overloaded and can damage the hydraulics - when you relax the pressure on the wheel it should if you stop. Check fluid level just in case.
+1
All Z3s do this but only when the full lock limit is reached. This is normal.

Mick

Model of Z
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I topped up the oil and it helped, but I think I will change the reservoir as the filter may be clogged (looks original). Had a look on-line and found a billett version, but not sure if this is the best option or just a straight swap?

Anyone bought a reservoir? Can you recommend a stockist?

Kind regards
Mick

jonco

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
'98 1.9 Auto
Why not just change fluid (it's probably original) - inexpensive and fairly straightforward. Did it recently on my `98 1.9 as a precaution and it does sound better or maybe it's all in the mind.;)

B

bonzo

I sometimes get a whining sound whatever position the steering is in.

I eventually traced it to my wife! ( boom-tish )

ticklemejoviemo

there should be poppet valves to prevent damage at full lock, pressure relief

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Z

zedonist

When I bought mine there was a whining noise turning the wheel, but the process was also laboured, it turned out to be a new steering pump required, at no cost mind, but as mentioned earlier all cars whine on full lock........but should not whine constantly...