wheel torque settings

bessieblue

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
had wheels off today, brake calipers painted, wheels cleaned & sealed with amorall shield. looks good. anyone know wheel torque settings in nm please for the 2.2 ?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
This came from another thread on the same subject. Got the values below from the BMW TIS sheet.

GazHyde said:
E30 / E31 / E32 / E34 / E36 / E38 / E39 / E46 / E52 / E60 / E61 / E63 / E64 / E85 / E86 = 120 ± 10 Nm

Looks to be a 'one setting suits all' value. Nice and simple for a change.
Original thread - http://zroadster.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1185

bessieblue

Zorg Guru (II)
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
thanks gazhyde wheels were on very tight have set to 130 at mo . :-bd

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Its a good job you dont have boards M, :)) as you would have had trouble getting the wheels off

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I found a present for you yesterday hornel, it's one of the white BMW bags that you put your dirty wheel in after you put the spare on to stop your car getting dirty :p

r37

Dedicated Member
do people usually torque wheel nuts up to the correct force? I generally just lean on the breaker bar a bit, same as the suspension bits i changed last week.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
I normally do it by feel as well but then I haven't taken the wheels off the m for a long time as its usually new tyres time that they are off. I've been working on my pickup and do those by hand and usually do one he other cars I have had over the years.

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
board said:
I found a present for you yesterday hornel, it's one of the white BMW bags that you put your dirty wheel in after you put the spare on to stop your car getting dirty :p

Oh MY God, perhaps i dont have an M after all. Thanks for the pressie James will have it at silverstone

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
If you pull hard on a wheel brace you'll exceed 120Nm. I've generally only bothered with torque wrenches for cylinder head bolts etc. to ensure uniform tension and prevent over-tightening. I once sheared a cylinder head bolt after a top end re-build - horrible feeling!