Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement Issue

Arran_RPS

I recently changed the front drivers side wheel speed sensor on my 1999 Z.3 1.9, after the replacement it is still throwing up an error an despite clearing the error code it still remains.

Any advice on this or is it likely that the senor is duff, or I have damaged the senor/ring when installing it?

Cheers

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Have you cleaned the abs reculter ring in the hub, its the knotched ring that the sensor sits close up to and watches the gaps as it rotates to determin the wheel speed. If its dirty or corroded away this could affect the sensor. Try cleaning it up with a wire brush and ensure the sensor is clean and fitted correctly.

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
You obviously have a good scanner to be able to read and clear ABS codes. Does it allow you to check/monitor the sensors while spinning the jacked up wheels? This will help determine that the sensor is plugged in correctly and reading the reluctor wheel.

Last edited:

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
When I had this it was because the plug appeared tight but had worked it’s way slightly loose after a few miles after the new one was fitted.

Arran_RPS

You obviously have a good scanner to be able to read and clear ABS codes. Does it allow you to check/monitor the sensors while spinning the jacked up wheels? INPA does. This will help determine that the sensor is plugged in correctly and reading the reluctor wheel.
Its just the C10 scanner, pretty sure I sure an option to check the sensor when spinning but I might be wrong... Not sure if I need a better scanner but it cleared an abs fault before

Dakar Z3

Dakar
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 , Z4 Coupe 3.0si Auto
I recently changed the front drivers side wheel speed sensor on my 1999 Z.3 1.9, after the replacement it is still throwing up an error an despite clearing the error code it still remains.

Any advice on this or is it likely that the senor is duff, or I have damaged the senor/ring when installing it?

Cheers
Hello Aran,

i had a recent issue with my ABS sensors, I did a recent front suspension overhaul and when I reassembled everything my ABS Warning light was on The dash, I was puzzled, I contacted a pal of mine (BMW Master technician) and he asked me if I’d driven the car Since the rebuild which I hadn’t, he said you have to drive the car and when it reaches 10 mph it resets and sure enough it did.
one thing I found out at the time is if you have DSC instead of ASC the sensors are different, a car with DSC The ABS lead connecting ends are blue and are handed Left and right, the ASC ABS sensors are interchangeable, as Colb pointed out it could just be dirty, clean tthe abs sensor end and the reluctor with carb cleaner and a tooth brush, good luck hope you get it sorted.

jbrodin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 SE
Picking up this old thread as it is relevant To me now. I need to replace the front left hand side wheel speed sensor. I have DSC and need the blue connector. The only one I can find when searching for Z3 is the grey non DSC one. I ordered a sensor for Z4 1998-2007 (I think) which looked similar to mine and assumed it would be the same one. When I tried to install it I noticed it is “mirrored“ compared to mine. Could it be that the Z4 caliper is different and Z4 left equals to Z3 right or something?

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
You need the correct sensor and the correct side. You can not mix these up because they will not read correctly. You will also need to check that the ring on the hub has not corroded and expanded damaging the sensor.

If you are struggling to find one, order from AUTODOC. The company has a great selection.

Before all of that you need to get a good code reader which can tell you what each sensor is or is not giving you signal.

jbrodin

Dedicated Member
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 SE
You need the correct sensor and the correct side. You can not mix these up because they will not read correctly. You will also need to check that the ring on the hub has not corroded and expanded damaging the sensor.

If you are struggling to find one, order from AUTODOC. The company has a great selection.

Before all of that you need to get a good code reader which can tell you what each sensor is or is not giving you signal.
Thanks. I have a code reader and it is the front left hand side. I just compared the old one and the new side by side and the new one (for Z4) if having a bend at the top and is slightly shorter. Need to return that one. Thanks for the tip about Autodoc, they actually have one For the Z3. (https://www.autodoc.co.uk/ate/15483055#abs-sensor) It’s pricier than others I guess cheaper than OEM.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
And the price being??

Tony.

pgunter

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Zedshed Special
And the price being??

Tony.
Tony, normally a bit cheaper than the UK and def cheaper than main stealer. The bonus being you can often get a range of makes to choose from. The downside being it’s shipped from Germany.