What i bought at the Classic car show

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
I was looking at those @NickUK, but didn't speak to anyone. I had an MX6 which was basically the same car.The 2.5 V6 was a super engine. I thought the Mazda was a better looking and better built car, but the Probe had the advantage of a hatchback.
I like both really but think the Probe has aged better than the MX6. I originally went for a Probe because of the practicality of the hatchback and massive boot but mainly because of the pop-up headlights and I wanted one since I was a teenager. I've had three now (V6) and the current one for ten years. It has 165,000 on the clock.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
Thought they were both underrated @NickUK, the Mazda had a spoiler and when I saw Probes fitted with a spoiler I thought they looked better. Because the rear seats folded both had a lot of luggage space, but the Probe hatch made the best use of it.Having said that , although my MX6 just had the boot lid opening I could easily get my bike in when travelling to events.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Had a couple of Probes as demo's, good looking car but poor build quality, Glad the American built Zeds were built to German Standards

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Had a couple of Probes as demo's, good looking car but poor build quality, Glad the American built Zeds were built to German Standards
A lot of people say that but I always wonder what they're getting at as mine has done over 80,000 in my hands without a huge amount of maintenance. There are quirks such as a cable under the bonnet with a plug on the end that does nothing if that's what you mean!

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Mainly fit and finish, an example from new, the window switches on the door never fitted right always popping up, just an example lots of squeaks and rattles. Saying that in the early nineties when i had mine the rest of the Ford range wasn't put together very well

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
Mainly fit and finish, an example from new, the window switches on the door never fitted right always popping up, just an example lots of squeaks and rattles. Saying that in the early nineties when i had mine the rest of the Ford range wasn't put together very well
Ah I see. The switch on my driver's door has always been a bit loose. I thought it had deteriorated with age! They now make Mustangs and Lincoln Continentals in the factory at Flat Rock where the Probes and MX6s were built. I went there and met a bloke who had been there long enough to have worked on Probes. I should of had a word with him.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I remember testing a few Probes at a previous employment back in the 90’s. There were like most other Mazda models of the time, rust buckets!

Tony.

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
I remember testing a few Probes at a previous employment back in the 90’s. There were like most other Mazda models of the time, rust buckets!

Tony.
How very dare you. My Z3 has more rust underneath than the Probe. Well it does on that differential anyway. I'm going under all my cars at some point with that black stuff. I'm in the wrong place to banging on about Probes but I like the challenge. It's honestly one of the best cars I've ever owned.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
To be fair perhaps the American Mazdas weren’t quite as bad as the others from Japan, but honestly they were awful. ;)
And the big shame was they designed some really nice styles of car.

Tony.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
As far as I know @t-tony, the Mazda MX6 for European and Asian markets was built in Japan and the ones built in the USA were for American and other markets. I had mine from 1997 to 2004, over 90k miles and apart from routine servicing it had no faults and no new parts fitted. One of the best cars I've had, stylish fast coupe with lots of luggage space.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
From the top side they looked great, it was the underside which was a horror show. Not talking about the MX6 particularly just Mazda vehicles in general, even their commercial ones were the same, covered in rust underneath.

Tony.

Z Victor 1

Formerly "Ontiken1"
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless!
Yes @the Nefyn cat, dead right I had one. When I sold my MX5 to the misguided new owner it looked great, but it was only going to be a matter of time before the rust appeared again. I had spent a lot on the body ,but it was an uphill battle.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Yes @the Nefyn cat, dead right I had one. When I sold my MX5 to the misguided new owner it looked great, but it was only going to be a matter of time before the rust appeared again. I had spent a lot on the body ,but it was an uphill battle.
I'll post some pictures of my old Eunos later Ken.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

NickUK

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
A lot of people say that but I always wonder what they're getting at as mine has done over 80,000 in my hands without a huge amount of maintenance. There are quirks such as a cable under the bonnet with a plug on the end that does nothing if that's what you mean!
Thoughts, @petecossie?