Weird Service Interval ??

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
I had an oil service 4 months ago and the service lights were zero’d out.
I have driven since only 4,000 miles and all the green LEDs are gone and the "amber" & “oil service” lights are showing.
Does this make sense?

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
The only thought that comes to mind is that maybe the service interval has been coded to a lower milage, to check this you will need to use NCS Expert to read the coding menu and look for service interval settings to see whats coded in. Probably find what you are looking for in the instrument cluster module. How long have you had the car and have you been changing oil before the service reminder lights up? And of course had the service interval light reset when oil change has been completed.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
I’ve had the car for 15 years. From 167k km to 430k km today. 🤓
I personally reset the service lights on the 15th of Feb this year. I have been servicing every 6-9 months (if I recall correctly when 1-2 green LEDs)

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
….just an engine and a gear and support from a dear Spurs supporter.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Nothing is irregular with the fuel consumption - I’m consistently doing 500km on a full tank.

AirOps

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
"Service Interval Display
Advanced technology is employed to calculate the optimal maintenance intervals, which are then indicated in the Service Interval Display. While conventional systems rely solely on distance traveled to determine when service is due, the BMW Maintenance System considers the actual conditions under which the vehicle operates. From the point of view of maintenance, 62,000 miles (100,000 km) accumulated in short distance urban driving are not the equivalent of the same distance covered at moderate speeds in long distance highway travel. In response to this fact, the BMW Maintenance system monitors operating conditions as the basis for determining the optimum service intervals for your individual vehicle."

AirOps

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I always wondered about the intervals on the Service Interval Display lights, when I bought my car it had 109,500 miles and I did an initial oil change with Mobil 1 0W - 40 after using Liqui Moly engine flush prior to the oil change. The Service Interval Display was reset after the oil change, during the next 6 months the car was not being driven due to my repairing and restoring it. After the car was back on the road within 4,000 miles the Service Interval Display was back to the yellow light for a Inspection II service, not knowing the background I did a complete Inspection II service including replacing the O2 sensors, Coil packs, and switching to Liqui Moly 5W - 40 oil. After reseting the Service Interval Display the lights appear to be counting down every 1,800 miles vs the approximately 800 miles before the level 2 service, indicating that the Service Interval Display does use more than milage to determine service intervals as indicated in the owners manual. Since the level II maintenance I have driven the car 8,000 miles, I changed the oil after 6,000 miles but did not reset the SID which still had 2 green bars showing. I am planning to continue to change the oil in 6,000 mile intervals and reset the SID as necessary, based on the current intervals I will need to do the inspections every 18,000 miles (1,800 x 5 = 9,000 x 2 = 18,000) or third oil change. Experience has taught me that the cost of extra oil changes is cheap insurance to get the maximum life out of the engine and car.

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Sequence is oil service, inspection one, oil service, inspection two and so on. :thumbsup:

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Sorry - I don’t understand your answer.
According the the pic above - what should I be doing? Until now I took it in and I assumed they just changed the oil and air filter and “sniffed around” to charge me for anything wonky.

AirOps

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Inspection I is an oil change and inspecting under the car for wear and damage, i.e. leaks, brakes, and suspension componets.
Inspection II which in addition items listed in Inspection I, it specifies replacement of:
Air Filter & Fuel Filter
Change transmission & rear differential fluid
Brake fluid every 2 years,
Coolant every 4 years (3 years for M versions) from production date,
Spark Plugs 1997 - 1998 and M models every 60,000 miles (100,000 km)
1999 - 2002 every 100,000, (165,000 km)
Oxygen sensor 1997 - 1998 100,000 miles (165,000 km)
1999 - 2002 every 120,000 miles (200,000 km)

At 430K you would be at the mileage to replace the spark plugs, Oxygen sensors, and the coil packs if not previously replaced. Any of the control sensors (cam, crank, and MAF or MAP) if not previously replaced are at least 20 years old and subject to reduced effectiveness or failure. The other items would be rubber hoses and boots our cars are getting to the point where time will have an effect on operation and maintenance. My car has 122,000 miles (200,000 km) and as I have gone through it I have replaced most of the items mentioned to ensure it is about enjoying the driving experience and not worrying about the next failure.

Fender2004

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
I notice that the little clock is illuminated indicating that the brake fluid needs changing, and the light resetting. As far as I know this is just a time based system of two years.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
How does the light differ between inspection I and II?
….most has been done in recent years. The only one I’m considering now is the 3 point water manifold in the back of the engine which can crack due to the heat.

AirOps

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
On the M44's there is a second plastic connector pipe for the heater return under the intake manifold, if you are doing the one on the back of the head you should probably do the second one as well, don't want it to be the weakest link in the system.

bonbon

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
19L Auto
Not sure which part you are referring to -I recall both connections to the heater core are rubber hoses (I’ve changed them already)