Usual insurance rip off

hotred

Model of Z
Z3 3.0 auto
Got the insurance renewal through for the 3.0, from Saga, nicely jacked up to £346.46, usual big increase on renewal from them.
Went on line and Saga came up 2nd cheapest, quoting £240.88, so I rang them up and was told the cheaper online quote was with a new customer discount and if I went for it the price would change to the original renewal quote price. When I moaned about this they said customer service may offer some discount and I held to speak to someone, only to find the original guy came back on and said they were all busy and said they would call me back, surprise, surprise, they didn't.
Upshot is Saga can stick their renewal where it belongs, I'm off to Hastings Direct for £222.40 and smaller excess.
Same old story every time with Saga usually the worst offender, makes you wonder do they ever get any repeat business?
This definitely seems to happen on a regular basis, is anyone mug enough to take insurance out with the same company 2 years or more running, I think not many!
Insuring 2 or sometimes 3 vehicles a year as I do makes this practise really stand out, my advice to all is always shop around, I used to be a mug and stick with the same company but not any more!!

Freds Dad

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
If you are going to Hasting do it through Quidco where you will get £50 cash back. I did it a few months ago for both cars when it was £82.50.

Kerching

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Wise words sir!

Just had the renewal through for my MINI Cooper from the AA. Premium up £50 on last year to £690, grumbled on the phone and they immediately dropped this to £600.

Rang the broker who covers the Z4, and renewed at £406, with better policy features than I had with the AA! I'm sure the AA make thier prices up.

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I gather it's standard practice - have this conversation with mine every year - LV - been with them 20+ years (before they were LV) no-one can touch them for me for price and on both occassions that I have claimed (both non fault) they were brilliant.

I just resign myself to having to make that 1 phone call on renewal and just say, hi my quotes come through, can you do anything with it... they always do and for the last 2 years the initial quotes have been less than the previous years, most insurance companies prices go up each year.

Macca

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.5l Msport
It's all a game. My bike insurance came through last year, £295. Rang them up, " do you what to go ahead at that price sir?". Ummmm, no!! "Ok how about £190 then", go figure!!! I must say though, my Z is insured with more than and last year it was cheaper than the year before. Let's see what they do in August this year.

hotred

Model of Z
Z3 3.0 auto
Saga finally contacted me today and yes they were able to give a discount of £80 with no policy changes, still dearer than Hastings Direct though.
Insurance of all forms is the biggest racket going, Saga tell me that my premium had gone down this year, which was an out and out lie as the original policy was with the other Zed (1.9) I changed it over to the 3.0 in September which was 3 months into the policy. The original policy for the 1.9 was far cheaper and even with the additional premium for the change of car it was definitely cheaper last year. What a load of bullshit they must think you were born yesterday!!
I think that no matter what your present company offers you as a renewal you will get cheaper if you shop around.
Incidentally the Hastings Direct policy has a lower excess and also it's for a higher annual mileage, so it's a no brainer to me, Hastings here I come!! :coolsteer)

r37

Dedicated Member
as a 21 year old with a 2.8 convertables insurance companies can see me coming for a mile off. When i was looking at insuring my z3 i called 3 different companies (all part of the same parent company, admiral, bell and elephant). i spent 3 days playing them off against each other to see who was the lowest, eventually settled with elephant as they came out with the lowset price. Was also promised free cover on certain modifications which was absolute rubbish so i dont think i'll renew next year.

Ragtop

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
Tim good to see you're supporting our local economy here in 1066 country. :D

Its a shame Hastings were not the cheapest for Gail's and my car, we are both with LV and our renewals were cheaper than the previous year.

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
When Saga are your cheapest insurance quote it's time to hang up your keys ~X( .

They were my second cheapest last year and I'm not even 50 yet. And Sheila's Wheels weren't far behind :( .

Gigsy

I must be in the minority as my premiums generally stay the same or go down... I'm with Direct Line though I do have 3 policies with them and all with 5+ years no claims so not sure how much of a difference that makes?

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
I remember when I was with Direct Line and had just renewed my insurance 3 weeks before buying my zed. Rang them up to change the policy onto the new car and they said sorry, we are unable to insure your car! I couldn't understand why as it was a lower insurance group and less power etc but anyway I said fine and had to cancel so changed to swift cover.

Then when I came to renew a year later the cheapest was with Admiral, it had gone up a fair bit for no reason as I had claimed or had no convictions but they were still the cheapest. Had my renewal in April this year and was very surprised to see that it had come down slightly but anyway I still looked around to see if I could get it cheaper but no one else could touch it. So for once I was pretty happy with my renewal this year and Admiral did a decent job :D