Tonneau on-check

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Joined
May 8, 2021
Points
148
Location
Porthcawl, Wales
Model of Z
Z3 1.9, Z4 E89 2.3
Tonneau on for first time this year, expecting a nice Zedding weekend to come!

Inked20220527_130820_LI.webp
 
Mine is on and will stay on until I drive home from work at 9pm. I’m looking at the car from my 4th floor office on the locks of Portbury Dock and it is bright sunshine so I hope it stays like it!!
 
Mine is on and will stay on until I drive home from work at 9pm. I’m looking at the car from my 4th floor office on the locks of Portbury Dock and it is bright sunshine so I hope it stays like it!!
First time you've looked at your Zed today? ;)
 
I wondered if something like that existed when I got mine, but didn't really pursue it. Honestly, I'm surprised my Dad didn't have one. Looked them up...really expensive. I'll probably just continue to drive without one.
 
They do come up for sale, best scour the ads on the Forums, they know what they are worth so priced accordingly. Also check out Facebook Marketplace and Gumtree Ads, they sometimes pop up on there when past owners clear theiir lofts and garages of bits they still have and prices can be lower than Forum prices.
 
@colb is spot on. I wasn't going to get one due to the 'going rates' then one popped up on gumtree local to me for an absolute song- so got it. Guy had sold his Zed years ago and exactly as Col says was clearing out his garage!
 
A word of caution for those buying on-line ...get the seller to show you the condition of the pop on connectors! I thought I'd got a bargain on ebay however as you can see 3 of the 4 of mine were knackered. One was completely useless. Top left is how they should be with the 3 metal tabs flush.
There is a BMW tonneau repair kit available which my local dealer quoted me £65!!! for. Comes from Germany too. (Part
54318401804).
Anyway...at least the seller of mine was a decent chap and we agreed a £40 refund rather than me returning it.

So...now....if you are looking for replacement connectors and can't stomach the dealer prices I would recommend looking at
https://tenax24.de/
(Product is TO-3BMW) Still a premium compared to others but a lot less than the dealers and they sell them individually! They also sell the extended tenax bolts you need to run a wind deflector and tonneau. Ordering online is now restricted to Germany for some reason however I mailed Ralf the owner (in German I might add) and he responded immediately. He will process your order via email with paypal payment. Worked out about £34 for 3 connectors including insured shipping. I'll post up a pic when they arrive.
 

Attachments

  • 73172BAB-7651-4336-B54F-DC86B73A6969.webp
    73172BAB-7651-4336-B54F-DC86B73A6969.webp
    102.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Tonneau definitely gives the rear deck a more finished look with the folded roof covered up.
I only use mine when weather set to be decent as a bit of a nuisance if your out with it on and it rains as you have to get the Tonneau off first before the roof can go up meanwhile your interior is getting a bath.
Stephen.
 
Tonneau definitely gives the rear deck a more finished look with the folded roof covered up.
I only use mine when weather set to be decent as a bit of a nuisance if your out with it on and it rains as you have to get the Tonneau off first before the roof can go up meanwhile your interior is getting a bath.
Stephen.
This made me chuckle Steve ...................................... You live in Scotland man! :whistle: =))=))=))=))
 
This made me chuckle Steve ...................................... You live in Scotland man! :whistle: =))=))=))=))
It's not always raining here Niall ( although sometimes feels like it is ) like today lovely weather here.
Stephen.
20220607_145432.webp
 
You must have missed the sun as I drove Bristol to Newport with the top down around 10am today in glorious west country sun!!
Sat in the office with Zed 20ft away :(
 
Back
Top