E89 Z4 23i Auto
Borrowed from MSN.

Tony.

Duncodin

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z3 M44
I'm surprised that UK actually built any cars at all back in those days. My dad spent more time out on strike than he did in work. And then they wonder why the world stopped buying british.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
I'm surprised that UK actually built any cars at all back in those days. My dad spent more time out on strike than he did in work. And then they wonder why the world stopped buying british.
Poor at;

Business
Design
Quality Control
As well as Strikes.

A perfect storm.

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89 20i sdrive roadster
Sad though . . . Growing up in South Africa, my first car was a 15 year old 1966 Rover 2000 with 45,000 miles on the clock. It was mint like it came off the showroom floor, but boy did that car have 'foibles'. And did I get stick for being a Pommy with an unreliable pommy car - why don't you buy something decent like a Toyota, it'll never break. There was no answer to that really . . .

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
The irony is that we make more cars in this Country now than we ever did. Just that the profits all go to the Japanese.

I don't blame poor business plans, poor workmanship, poor management and certainly not poor engineering (in the 1970s we were still leaders in that, and there is an argument for saying we still are). Down to the unions and, as a consequence, lack of investment in R&D IMHO.

Cars in this Country, until the 1990s, were being made with virtually no development to try and make a quick buck to pay for the Unions' ridiculous demands for 'their members'. The unions ultimately won and 'their members' all lost their jobs. Then our car industry was no more, until the Japs saw an opportunity to use the considerable skills and knowledge they all had.

bronty

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto pre facelift
I remember in the 70s when I was a young lad and my dad was teaching me how to fish.
"when the float goes down strike like British leyland" he would say
Saying that he would insist on a orange Morris Mariner estate from new.
On the way home from buying it the wheel fell off!

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
I remember in the 70s when I was a young lad and my dad was teaching me how to fish.
"when the float goes down strike like British leyland" he would say
Saying that he would insist on a orange Morris Mariner estate from new.
On the way home from buying it the wheel fell off!
Well I had a brand new Ford Sierra in 1988 (built in Genk I believe). I was driving along the M40 and the carburettor fell off. Luckily it stayed in the engine bay and I had tools in the car, so screwed it back on (tight). Never had an issue with it after that. :D