Third Brake Light Mod

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
I noticed that only three out of the seven bulbs were working on the third brake light, after removing I found that the rain had been getting in and had corroded the printed circuit board and bulb holders, so rather than fork out for a new board,bulb holders,bulbs, I have decided to try out an idea for a mod I have been thinking about, I will be adding photos and a detailed how too as I go along, but if all works out like I think it will it should give a modern look to the brake light..and all for less than £10.00;)

OK the mod is all done see below, not going into to much detail as my way may not be your way, the mod will become apparent if you decide to do it.

Items required

1) 30cm led strip from ebay
2) Plastic Strip (for backing)
3) Araldite
4) New Gasket

Tools Required:

1) Size 8 torx precision screwdriver
2) Small flle
3) Solder Iron

The Cost= 99p for the LED Strip and £2.99 for the Gasket. A Grand Total of £3.98.

Remove the third brake light and unscrew the PCB un-solder the connection for use later reconnect it to the LED wires
Using a file remove about 6 mm from the top of the lens reflectors. This is to allow enough room for the led lights to fit.

Cut a strip of plastic to the correct length and araldite to the top of the modified lens reflectors
Stick the led to the strip and feed wire to the correct side.
Re assemble.

The Pics:

Plastic Backing Strip
1.JPG

LED Strip

2.JPG

LED Strip Attached

3.JPG

The Result 15 lights instead of 7

6.JPG

P6110365.JPG

Jim

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
I look forward to seeing your idea I have two that are corroded as well. I think in my case the pcb is ok but the bulb holders were shot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DivideBYZero

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z3 2.2
I've used 2 meters of those strips for remote controlled bedroom lighting. They're cheap and quite bright.

The other bonus for automotive use is they are sealed and claimed waterproof. I haven't tested them in this manner with my application...

Tracy Dee

Zorg Guru (III)
The M44 Massive
Thank you.
Can the LED strip be stuck to the circuit board if the bulbs are removed ?
Also not being diy minded or a owner of solder tools this would prove difficult to fit connection.
Does anyone make these up? To simply fit the original connectors .
I would buy one if they are made or I will have to try buying new holders and bulbs I understand they have to be ordered from BMW only in the hope they work.
First priority is stop water ingress if we have this horrendous heavy rain again.
Does look a great cheap mod though.
Many thanks.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Thank you.
Can the LED strip be stuck to the circuit board if the bulbs are removed ?
Also not being diy minded or a owner of solder tools this would prove difficult to fit connection.
Does anyone make these up? To simply fit the original connectors .
I would buy one if they are made or I will have to try buying new holders and bulbs I understand they have to be ordered from BMW only in the hope they work.
First priority is stop water ingress if we have this horrendous heavy rain again.
Does look a great cheap mod though.
Many thanks.
@Tracy Dee I used this (halfords) it appears to do the job ok. Just need to mask up round the light. HTH

20150828_162954.jpg

chrisjw

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Lay=teon the thread but I've just noticed a couple of my bulbs are not working so I think i'll give this mod ago. Cheers