Thinking of trading the 3 for a 4

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
I've not had my Z3 for long but have enjoyed it so much I now want the few little extras you get with the 4 (mainly bigger boot for weekends away and proper window in the soft top).

Question is which engine to go for. I have the 2.2 Z3 and would like similar sound and performance but an 05 plate 4 pot 2.0 Z4 can be had for the same money as an 03 plate 2.2 or 2.5 Z4.

I would welcome any feedback from existing owners of Z4s before I take the plunge.

Thanks,
Deano.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Deano,

I bought a Z4 to replace my Z3 about 3 months ago. They are two completely different cars, the Z4 is all round a better car, but the Z3 is all round more fun to drive! We were having this very discussion on the Kent Cruise today. I miss the Z3 a lot and would love to have both back on my drive.

The boot size is much improved on the Z4, as is cabin space what with it being a bigger car. Engine size I would opt for 'the bigger the better'. That said those who have the 2.2 engines say they are quick enough. Personally I've found the 3.0 auto effortless to drive.

Be careful when looking the 2.5i & 3.0i engines as the later 'i' models have a lower BHP than the first release engines. Both engines were eventually replaced with the even more powerful 2.5si & 3.0si models.

There are some great 3.0 Z4's out there in the sub 7k bracket, and the 2.2 may not actually be that much cheaper!

Gary

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
I also changed from my z3 to this z4 Alpina and what gazza says is right, go for max power the mpg wont
be much different between the 3 ltr and the 2.2 ltr. mine is giving me 29 mpg which is better than i expected
for a 3.4 ltr.
I also think this is a better drive than the z3.

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Great comments thanks! I looked at a 3.0 auto the other day as I do like the idea of a big powerful lump hooked up to an effortless auto box for comfortable cruising around the lakes etc. Unfortunately that particular car was seriously rough. It was nowhere near as good as my 3 and when I shut the doors I swear it sounded like dropping a lid onto a metal dustbin! There are some decent Z4s to be had around the £6-6.5k mark which is where I am looking to be and ideally I think I want a 2.5 or 3.0. The difficulty is knowing whether or not they have been garaged or spent the last 8 years outside permanently in all weathers.

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Looked at another Z4 today and was disappointed again! Well rough. Bad panel fit around nose and headlamps, poor quality paintwork touch ups on at least 2 panels, small hole in roof, amateur attempt at wheel refurb with an aerosol, tired looking interior. I got back in my Z3 and thought "bloody hell this is miles nicer!"

That's 3 I've looked at now and all have been in far worse condition than my Z3. The dodgy sound when closing the doors seems to be present on all Z4s I've looked at - does anyone else relate to this observation? The Z3 doors shut with a good solid quality thump, the Z4s I've looked shut with a hollow cheap sounding clang!!?

I'm not going to give up just yet though. I'm sure a well cared for example will come along soon! :coolsteer)

I may have to sell mine privately and then buy privately but I hate selling cars these days - God I'm getting old aren't I? :((

B

badman gee

all z4 doors sound like that, its the norm.

just how their made.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
SilverZed said:
The dodgy sound when closing the doors seems to be present on all Z4s I've looked at - does anyone else relate to this observation?
It's a well known trait of the Z4. There is a knack to it though, if you push the door too hard it sounds terrible. I've got the hang of it now, but it's something you have to get used to.

There are several threads on some Z4 specific forums where owners take the door cards off, and pack out the inside of the door with sound deadening material.

Keep the faith, and you'll find a good 'un!

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Thank God for that! I thought I must be going mad!

Macca

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.5l Msport
I agree with Tim, go on the Z4 forum, there's always cars coming up for sale. As for the doors, yes they do sound "tinny" when shutting them.

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Well it's gone!!!!!

Silverzed is now zedless!!!!

Looked at around 6 or 7 Z4s now, mix of traders and private and they have all been overpriced dogs (nowhere near as tidy as my Z3) apart from one but it was black and I want a grey one.

They were all advertised using words like immaculate, excellent etc. but in fact were nearer to 'fair' condition at best (apart from the black one).

Ah well looking at another tomorrow and it's grey so fingers crossed on this one.

The Z3 went to a good home anyway, nice couple who I'm sure will enjoy it.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Did you mention zedfest to them? Hope the search finds a good one soon for you :)

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
It did I've got one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will post some more pics after I've had my tea.

Attachments

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Re: Thinking of trading the 3 for a 4 - pics of the new beas

A couple more pics of the new beast...

Attachments