Taming the Rattlesnake!

Warrior

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i sports automatic
When I first picked up my 3.0i Z3 last year I described the handling as 'like hanging onto a rattlesnakes tit'... Until the tyres are hot it tramlines and skips more than a tram and a kangaroo... :car)
Next week I hope to get my friendly mechanic relative to put her up in the air for a general look around and with this in mind want to hand over a simple list of known things to look out for to improve the handling.

I will say that i'm not interested in adding strut braces, spacers, lowering or adding non oem parts to improve the ride.... (I actually quite enjoy the handling but not sure if i'd say that on a 200 mile trip)...but if replacing not obviously worn parts helps i'll be going for it!

When he's had a look around and given the thumbs up, is it worth getting the tracking looked at?

r37

Dedicated Member
depends if your eating the inside of your tyres or not. For £20 you might aswell get it done while its there, might save you a set of tyres in the long run or it might be £20 down the drain. With regards not modifying it i really would add a strut brace. For £30 and 10 mins fo your time they really do sharpen up the front end. (Cost me £84 to declare it though :-o )

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Warrior said:
I will say that i'm not interested in adding strut braces, spacers, lowering or adding non oem parts to improve the ride.... (I actually quite enjoy the handling but not sure if i'd say that on a 200 mile trip)...but if replacing not obviously worn parts helps i'll be going for it!
I was very unhappy with the way my 3.0 handled so I gambled on an Eibach lowering kit. Best £190 I ever spent, the handling has been transformed. Easy to do and no need for strut braces, poly bushes, spacers or any of that sort of thing. If you do decide to go the modding route I can give this a big thumbs up. A lot of gain for not much pain.