Suspension

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Would really appreciate some advice, I have searched but am struggling.

Whilst fitting a big brake kit to my 2.8 Coupe last weekend i noticed one of my front shock was leaking. Whilst I could get a direct replacement easy enough, one of the things about the 2.8 coupe versus the M is that it seems to sit very high. Looking at this further the M has a lower ride height of circa 15mm on paper and strikes me as a nice OEM height to aim for.

I appreciate that there are loads of full lowering kits out there with a drop of circa 30mm, but 1) I don't want to compromise ride quality as I plan to take the car on longer trips and previous experience suggests that lowered cars generally result in the need for dentistry, there are also a lot of speed humps near me, and 2) the rear suspension offers no camber adjustment and as such would cause inner tyre wear. I think i'm just too old for all that sort of thing now!

Reading around M suspension is broadly a straight bolt on subject to a few other minor bits and pieces such as top mounts / rear spring pads. A plan hatches!

However, easier said than done! Nobody now seems to stock OEM spec M shocks and springs. Bilstein do some slightly uprated B6's which, whilst pricey, may offer a solution, however getting springs that haven't been around halfway around the world and likely fatigued seems nigh on impossible.

My question is therefore:

1) Does anybody have a source for oem spec M shocks and springs?
2) Failing that is there a recommendation that's not £1,000's to lower the car a bit but not put it on the floor.
3) Should I just replace with standard front shocks at circa £100 per corner and stop bleating!!

Thanks in advance for any thought.

Woodsta888

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Could try Eibach as I think they did a set of lower than OEM springs. Sports springs 2nd hand are still expensive. Springs control the height so take your pic for shocks. OEM are Boge Sachs. There are a few threads in the past that have discussed shock manufacturers that could be worth a trawl.

Come from germany (Autodoc) in less than 2 weeks.
Really helpful, thanks, will investigate Eibach.

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
Hi if your interested I will have a set of front ///M springs going for free which have about 92k on them going for free when I eventually get around to doing my front end refurb, but H&R or Eibach springs will be I believe about 10mm more drop than standard M springs but have read they work well with the Bilstien shocks.

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Hi Althulas, I would definitely be interested to take your m springs! Do let me know when you’re able :thumbsup:

Not looking to drop it on the floor, just a small drop, so suspect these would be perfect for me - thanks.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Just so your aware chaps the Z3M front spring is not compatible with non M shocks, they're a different shape. I have a pair of front Z3M springs going if wanted them. Also the Z3M shock is not compatible with the Non M platform due to the roll bar setup, it's not impossible but you would need to source lots of M parts to make it work.

You would be better off with Eibach springs or equivalent lowering spring. Or the perfect spring for you the M sport which is 15mm lower than stock. Worth noting all the aftermarket lowering springs quote from stock height so if you already had M-Sport springs going to Eibach it would only lower a further 15mm.

Hope this helps :)

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
1) Does anybody have a source for oem spec M shocks and springs?
2) Failing that is there a recommendation that's not £1,000's to lower the car a bit but not put it on the floor.
3) Should I just replace with standard front shocks at circa £100 per corner and stop bleating!!

Thanks in advance for any thought.
1) a Sachs shock or Monroe will do fine they don't differ now. M-Sport spring is what you want but they're like hens teeth and BMW no longer stock.

2) 30mm lowering option by Eibach is the better with thicker spring pads.

3) 100% this lol

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
1) a Sachs shock or Monroe will do fine they don't differ now. M-Sport spring is what you want but they're like hens teeth and BMW no longer stock.

2) 30mm lowering option by Eibach is the better with thicker spring pads.

3) 100% this lol
M-Sport spring is what you want but they're like hens teeth and BMW no longer stock.
i think you’re absolutely right, it’s the M Sport springs that are what I want. Sadly, as I go further down the rabbit hole and read more around these they appear to be made of pure unobtainium!

I can see that I’m potentially going to end up spending a fortune and not really getting what I’m after. Especially when I hear that M springs don’t fit standard shocks.

New plan is therefore to install good quality standard shocks up front to fix the leaking shock and then look at beefing up the ARBs (particularly the radar) to try and get the best out of the standard set up.

Thanks Both for your help.

Reactions: Lee