Suspension

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Got a 2003 3.0i, anyone got any advice for suspension upgrade?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
When you mean upgrade... Lower? Same height but better?

The Eibach springs are meant to be a great upgrade but will lower the car by about 30mm, unless you have the factory lowered in which case 15mm.

My Z4 has the factory lowered suspension (15mm) and it scuffs on some of the local speed bumps. I also beached the car on a raised manhole cover at my local petrol station. Oh the sound... and the looks I got :(

Always found it handle really well, even with one of the rears snapped. Really didn't fancy losing another 15mm.

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Yeah, I was thinking coilovers, so you still got the eibachs on it?

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Maybe I should ditch the idea, I ground out the other day so lower is maybe not the way forward, maybe stiffer anti roll bars?

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Yeah, I was thinking coilovers, so you still got the eibachs on it?
May have confused... Mine is factory lowered 15mm m-sport standard fit. Didn't want to go any lower!

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
Oh right, so is it possibly to get my sport ones? If mine hasn't already got them :confused:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi,

Just checked your car details on your profile and it says 2003 3.0i. That should be the 15mm factory lowered m-sport fitted as standard. IIRC it was fitted to all the 3.0i models at the start of production.

Cheers, Gary

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Ok, you come away from runflats yet?
Yes, at the first opportunity! Put Falken 452's all round, and it was a different car. Bought the 4 for the cost of replacing just the 2 RFs on the rear.

Grimstead

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
3.0i
does it get rid of the crashy ride? i heard that was the problem with them.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Sorry for the delay in responding. Yes they do remove the crashy ride, but only to a certain extent. Don't forget you are still riding round on 40 profile tyres (35 rear), but the ride is much improved. Not spoken to anyone yet who has changed that regretted doing so.

My other issue with run-flats is that I had a puncture on a rear, and the car drove pretty well. So much so I didn't notice it was punctured. Was only when I gave it the beans off a roundabout that the back end squirelled a bit and the traction control came on. Tyre looked ok from visual inspection, was only when I put a guage on it that I knew it was way down on pressure.

Result is that it destroyed the tyre side wall, and it possibly could have been repaired (yes I know they say you can't). This was when I started looking at the standard tyres.

Bought myself a BMW tyre inflation kit (pump & tyre goo) just in case the worst should happen! :nailbiting: