Strut brace

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I realise there must be 1001 posts on zroadster.net on this subject but I can't access it yet and could do with some advice.

Basically, I've blown most of mod budget on brake and suspension upgrades so need a maximum "bang for your buck" strut brace. My car is a Z3 3.0 2001. I've seen a "chromiumtech" brace on ebay for 100 quid but it looks like its made out of tin foil and blue tac. The other makes I've seen are OMP, E-tech and strong strut. Strong strut and omp look expensive but the E-tech is about 150 quid, which is within my budget.

Does any one know about E-tech or any other good value strut braces?

Cheers, Pete

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Pete,

I recently bought one of these - Strut Brace, Click Here

Good quality, easy to install, surprisingly cheap :-o

HTH

P.S. It is a carbon look strut bar, the main bar is aluminium.

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
I got mine off ebay, but have just had a look and there isnt any on.
bill

r37

Dedicated Member
mine came fitted with one so i dont really know the brand but it looks exactly like the rubbish ones from ebay that cost £30 but it makes a hell of a difference to the feel of the car. Without it the front felt a lot softer, the steering didnt feel as quick and on fast bends the car didnt really give me the confidence to turn in tighter. With it fitted it feels super solid and the wheel gives much better feedback. Well worth fitting one even if it is only made of tin foil :p

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M

Garythefish

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
S54 Z3M
Do the E36 braces need adapting ?

r37

Dedicated Member
advert says it needs a hole for the earthing nut, 5 min job with a file. 30 second job with an angle grinder.

EDIT: looks like the car in the pics is a z3, 3rd picture shows the earth nut on the top of the suspension mound thing (front pillar?). It just needs a half moon shaped hole filed into it to accomodate the earth nut, or even a square one done with a hacksaw would be sufficient.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
r37 said:
advert says it needs a hole for the earthing nut, 5 min job with a file. 30 second job with an angle grinder.

EDIT: looks like the car in the pics is a z3, 3rd picture shows the earth nut on the top of the suspension mound thing (front pillar?). It just needs a half moon shaped hole filed into it to accomodate the earth nut, or even a square one done with a hacksaw would be sufficient.
Well remembered about the earthing tag, I forgot about that oops! :ymblushing:, I used a half round file to create the space for the earth tag, 5 min job.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I've got plenty of metal hacking tools in the shed, failing that there is always harsh language. X(

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Hi

I have a strong strut front brace
i dont recall 'earthing' being mentioned in the fixing instructions
Nice piece of kit the strong strutt so easy to fit

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
You don't earth the brace, there is a cut out on the off side mounting plate to accomodate the earth stud.

NeRo

Staff member
Global Moderator
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
Strong Strut for me - bought it as part of a group buy. Although expensive (IIRC > £200) I didn't mind paying for quality.
@Boysie - earth clearance already shaped into mount.

afarm2.staticflickr.com_1408_576614869_5551f374fe_z.jpg_78d565b723da07eb5656c0531b31036f.jpg

More photos here (shows pre fit checking)

spurs fan in a coupe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
The old cheap one off ebay is still going strong for me these are pictures from Feb 2010
"
Finally fitted my new front strut brace tonight, has a few issues. The jump start point was in the way and needed to be cut out of the turret top. A friend of mine machined it out but accidently scratched the paint. Thanks!

Only done 3 miles so far so no comments yet but here are some before and afters!

BEFORE

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3550.jpg

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3551.jpg

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3552.jpg

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3553.jpg

AFTER

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3554.jpg

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3555.jpg

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3556.jpg

ai304.photobucket.com_albums_nn162_zcoupe_CIMG3557.jpg

here's that slip!
"

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
I'm going with Mozza "Zed godfather" the martian's advice. If it costs 30 nicker and does the job I'm more than happy :-bd. I can only find E36 3 series strut braces, I assume they fit Z3's?

You have to love ebay.

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
A definitive answer, yes it i is :-bd

ai1189.photobucket.com_albums_z421_peteslag_CIMG3393.jpg

35 quid, what a bargain!!!! Cheers for the heads up Mozza :)

swamper

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M
Pete can i suggest that you put something under the brace to stop it rubbing on the engine cover ;)

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
Good call, didn't think of that. I'll put a small bit of black plastic between the bar and the engine cover.

Nice to know you've got my back homey, BIG UP THE M43 MASSIVE AIEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :coolsteer)