GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Hi all,

Here are some symptoms. See what you can make of them, because it's got me scratching my head tonight. Left Swansea (not actually relevant) this afternoon. After about 30 miles or so I could feel a vibration through the chassis (nothing felt through the steering wheel).

Gradually got worse, and had to slow down to below 55-60mph where it was less noticeable. Touching the brake pedal increased the vibration and could then feel it through the steering wheel as well. By the time I was near home touching the brake pedal produced really bad vibrations. Almost felt like a wheel was going to fall off.

> Pulled off the motorway and checked the tyre pressures - all spot on as set yesterday.
> Stopped a bit later and checked the calipers and all 4 were cool enough to touch.
> When I got home checked the wheel nuts were at correct torque.

Any thoughts?

Titan

British Zeds
Model of Z
sDrive35i
Square tyres?
Have you checked them for blisters?

Z3nt from m'iPhone on Tapatalk

B

badman gee

Gazza,

If its just come on i would say a brake calliper isn't releasing properly.

if not a spring issue?

sorry can't help any more.

:(

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
That's what I thought until he said all the callipers were cold to the touch.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Perhaps a wheel out of balance, maybe lose of wheel weight or wheel bearing starting to break up, there must be some looseness in the suspension or track road ends that is exacerbating the problem :-\ :(

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Took it for a test drive this morning and it's as good as gold! :-\

So have just left the Z4 with my local trusted tyre centre. They came out for another test drive with me (despite it behaving) and he can detect there is a still a wobble through the wheel on braking.

He then had a quick look in the car park and he noticed you can rock both front wheels and there is a faint clunk. There is a donut bush in the suspension he reckons has probaby failed. They are going to put it on the ramps and check the whole suspension out as well.

Fingers crossed this isn't the start of a long list of things to change... Update you all later when they call.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
Oh dear :((

Both bushes need changing so thats £268 all in. Rest of the suspension looks OK from visual inspection.

However, the front tyres are shot and need replacing. The drivers front has a bulge in the tyre and worn on the inside and they say that it has to go. The passenger front is also worn badly on the inside.

Replacement Bridgestone runflats are £207 each for the front. I can get a whole set of Falken 452s non run flats for the car for almost the same price as the 2 run flats. Always planned to move away from runflats if I could, was just hoping not to so soon.

Oh, and now I'm going to have to look for a BMW tyre inflation system as well. Lord knows how much they are!

Edit: New BMW tyre inflation kit = £90. Local dealer wanted £105+vat, but managed to get him to price match one on eBay from another dealer.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Gaz is it the top mount bushes your changing? Can I ask what milage the cars on?

I think you will see a big improvement with the falkens all round.. Run flats are awful..

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
First impressions are... I'm skint... :(

Seriously though, much nicer drive on non run flat tyres. It feels bit more like driving the Z3 now. Need to do some more miles to see what difference they really make.