Steam cleaning the engine bay ??

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
I've got a steam cleaner that I use around the house for many different uses so I got to thinking about using it in the engine bay area and whether there could be any benefits over gunk and water??
I know I would have to take all the usual precautions with electrics etc. but does anyone have any experience/thoughts ??
I'm also about to go on Detailing World web site - I may be gone some time !!!! - I don't know what it is about that site but I can never "nip on and off" it's always 3-4 hrs minimum :-s

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
I bought a steam cleaner exclusively to use on the ///M but haven't got around to it yet so let me know how you get on. ;)

DangerousDave

Dedicated Member
I hope you have a very narrow and flexible nozzle. If not, the steam will get in all the wrong places.

g8jka

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 - 2000 2.8 Roadster
Snoops said:
I'm also about to go on Detailing World web site - I may be gone some time !!!! - I don't know what it is about that site but I can never "nip on and off" it's always 3-4 hrs minimum :-s
Don't do it... You may never return :(

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
g8jka said:
Snoops said:
Don't do it... You may never return :(
Phew - 2 hours - not bad for me, having said that I've registered :-s

Aceman said:
I bought a steam cleaner exclusively to use on the ///M but haven't got around to it yet so let me know how you get on. ;)
See below

DangerousDave said:
I hope you have a very narrow and flexible nozzle. If not, the steam will get in all the wrong places.
I do have one of those, I use it to clean the grout around the shower tiles - amazing for that, however...

From the threads I have read there is concern about the fact that steam can ingress easier than water droplets, but then form water droplets where you don't want them to, but I haven't yet found a thread specifically detailing how to steam an engine, people seem to prefer "products"..... as said above though I've only been on there 2 hours.... still like to have some direct feedback from anyone who's done it though.

r37

Dedicated Member
i'd stay well away fromt he engine bay with a steam cleaner. The rates they get through water is very high as can be the steam pressures. a litre of water doesnt sound like alot and most will go into the atmosphere but if even 2-3 ml manage to get into the fusebox it would cause big problems. Additionally if you clean around the head or the engine covers you could get moist air down into the coilpacks which would be catastrophic. I know they are extreme examples but entirely possible ones with not so good outcomes. I'd stick to some good alcahol based de-greaser and half a mile of rag.

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
r37 said:
i'd stay well away fromt he engine bay with a steam cleaner. The rates they get through water is very high as can be the steam pressures. a litre of water doesnt sound like alot and most will go into the atmosphere but if even 2-3 ml manage to get into the fusebox it would cause big problems. Additionally if you clean around the head or the engine covers you could get moist air down into the coilpacks which would be catastrophic. I know they are extreme examples but entirely possible ones with not so good outcomes. I'd stick to some good alcahol based de-greaser and half a mile of rag.
+1 on that. IMO only diesels can be steam cleaned, even then with caution.
Gunk and a brush (house (behind the) radiator paint brush good for the hard to reach long bits)
Plus, if you've steam cleaned the body, and done nothing else, but have used soap, you'll see it doesn't do half the job a hose and a sponge does.

BS

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Big Slippy said:
......Plus, if you've steam cleaned the body, and done nothing else, but have used soap, you'll see it doesn't do half the job a hose and a sponge does.BS
Am I being a bit thick, I don't understand this sentence... :ymblushing:

Big Slippy

Model of Z
Z3M roadster
Snoops said:
Big Slippy said:
......Plus, if you've steam cleaned the body, and done nothing else, but have used soap, you'll see it doesn't do half the job a hose and a sponge does.BS
Am I being a bit thick, I don't understand this sentence... :ymblushing:
Snoops,

Just a comparison in relation to simply steamcleaning the engine bay. A brush, gunk and elbow grease does all the hard work and gets results. As in when you wash the car with a pressure washer, it only does half the job.

I knew what I meant, just didn't translate it very well. :-??

BS

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Oh right, it's just when I read steam cleaning the body....

I think the concensus is keep steam away from the engine bay.

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Snoops said:

are we still talking cars?

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
board said:
Snoops said:

are we still talking cars?
Snoops said:
I've got a steam cleaner that I use around the house for many different uses
:-o that's one I've not tried - nor am I likely to :-o

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
There is nothing wrong with steam cleaning.
With modern cars the electric's are covered, but still be careful
it's the older cars that wouldnt start after a steam clean.
As for gunk its an acid and that cant be goog, and when
you clean it off it goes everywhere.
After a steam clean have a good run and get the engine/bay very hot
I've alway fancied doing a steam clean in those hard to get places.
Go for it Snoop
Work up a steam

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Why don't we try it on a silver zed we wouldn't miss one of those if it all went wrong...anyone have a spare silver zed :?:
Snoops ont'apatalk

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Well I said I was going to do it so I will let you know if it disappears into a grey goo. :))

Boysie

Zorg Guru (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster S50
Snoops said:
Why don't we try it on a silver zed we wouldn't miss one of those if it all went wrong...anyone have a spare silver zed :?:
Snoops ont'apatalk
I think I had better start my own bad girl list :D

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
Boysie said:
Snoops said:
Snoops ont'apatalk
I think I had better start my own bad girl list :D
Is there any room on there...

Snoops ont'apatalk