Spitfire Ale advert - ‘downed all over Kent ….’

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Stopped in at the Battle of Britain memorial above Dover. Small but poignant and on a clear day you see right across the channel. Hard to imagine what it was like.

The spitfire adverts in the toilets 🤩

IMG_4799.jpeg
IMG_4800.jpeg
IMG_4801.jpeg
IMG_4802.jpeg
IMG_4803.jpeg
IMG_4805.jpeg

Synclare

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
Take a read of one of these three books:
First Light by Geoffrey Wellum (died recently)
The Last Enemy by Richard Hillary
Last of the 10 Fighter Boys by Jimmy Corbin

They give an excellent insight into the sheer terror.

At the forum meet at East Kirkby Airfield some years back there was a reunion going on. I actually had the privilege of talking to Len Manning (died couple years ago) a rear gunner on Lancs. He told me of his experience having to bale out as it went down to starboard in flames. He said they teach you to bale out safely so you don't impale yourself on the tail. He said when you see the flames leaping at you through the fuselage he just grabbed his chute which was burning also, as well as himself, and get out any way you can. He still wore the burns.
He actually was the real live 'Allo Allo' character if you research him.

Many Spitfire/Hurricane pilots suffered terrible burns. Richard Hillarys book opens with his story of being burnt alive having taken a cannon shell in the fuel tank (behind the engine).

Hard hitting reading I recommend.

Hard to imagine what it was like. QUOTE]

Althulas

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
M Roadster
You may be surprised. Are you a father yourself?
Unfortunately life did not turn out that way for me and I only have a step daughter and a step son who I looked after for a lot longer than there natural father but the lad has done his bit and still serving. I suppose I’m a bit grumpy at times but in my line off work I do meet a lot youth who rather waste there lives on recreational chemicals with a self entitlement for doing bugger all, also I’m not encouraging with what you see in the news and social media but hopefully they are the minority.

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
I had a birthday present of a trial flight in a microlite once. Almost threw up, never so glad to get back on the ground when it was over.

How those young pilots got by with such little training then into a dog fight with a 109 I can't even begin to understand, needless to say I doth my cap to those courageous men.