Smoking…

Jam03

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i
I've never smoked, my parents did heavily, saw what it did to them, put me off. My wife smoked when I met her but gave up when she found out she was pregnant with our son, hasn't gone back. That was 28 years ago. I think that there has to be a really good reason not to start or to give up. :thumbsup:
Exactly same for me, just 17yrs ago!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
IF you really want to stop smoking you will. Just stop making up excuses and stop. It is that simple.

Tony.

Pond

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 project and E89 Z4
IF you really want to stop smoking you will. Just stop making up excuses and stop. It is that simple.
Very simplistic and I would say that is a yes and no answer. Addiction is never, ever that simple.
Like the OP I have been smoking for 40 years. I gave up properly once (when my kids were born) for about 9 months, then went back stupidly.
I save a lot of money by making fags myself, not roll ups, just buy filter tubes, and s*** tobacco online (s*** tobacco is taxed less in the UK), then have an electronic injection machine. It's cheaper but still bad and still expensive.

AND I know it's killing me (I am starting to notice) but can't get into the right mind frame to quit.

It's all quite sad really!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
If you can't get onto the right mind set to pack the fags in then you don't care enough about yourself. I used to smoke too. It is that simplistic really. It's called "Mind over matter". Roll your own, getting people to bring you duty free, vapes, etc. etc. Just excuses. I had got down to Hooky Imported fags and God only knew what was in them, but I quit.
It's a disgusting habit and you know it. All that apart I honestly don't know how anyone can afford to smoke these days.

Tony.

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
I worked an IT gig at BAT in Southampton, you could smoke as many cigarettes a day as you wanted, 100 a day? no problem and totally free. The windows in the ops room were yellow and the keyboards covered in ash.

For a non smoker like me it was horrendous but the money was good.

At the time they were experimenting with pineapple and coca-cola flavoured cigarettes and stories of children being given free cigarettes in Africa abounded.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Fags are dirt cheap here in the US and they wonder why people won't quit?

Tony.

AleNod

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 E89 20i sdrive roadster
Smokenders. Hopefully they're still around. They're international.

I smoked for 15/16 years from the age of about 13. Usually smoked 20-40 a day, but that could go up if out on the razz. My worst was over 100 in a 24 hour period. Up at 6.00, work 7.30 while 17.00, 3 pubs till midnight, 2 clubs while 5.00. Drove home. Lost that Saturday . . .

Smoking is two addictions, physical and psycological. You don't realise it but Smokenders gives you the knowledge and chance to cure you of both. There is a cost but it wasn't unreasonable. Runs over 7 weeks 1 night a week. Week 1 is a free taster session. You'll walk in and theres an ashtray on each desk with a sign that says sit down, light up and relax. I was the only one who did in our group and it really is fine to.

You'll give up on week 5, return for support and feed back for weeks 6 and 7. Their success rate world wide is ridiculously high. If ever someone subsequently relapses you could reattend the course for free, even though you now knew what each week was about. It really is a process.

In a moment of drunken weakness I'd promised Herself if ever she was pregnant I'd give up smoking as it could harm the baby. My daughter is now 33. I've not smoked for 34 years. I'd given up before and thought I would miss it but I haven't. I enjoyed my smoking - for me it was the one in the car of a morning on the way to work with the window open. Deep breaths. Really set me up for the day. But its really nice not to smoke . . .

Hope that helps . . .

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I used to tip the Ash off my morning cig at the traffic light on Carholme Rd. It fell into the cobweb and a spider would rush out from behind the mirror to collect its breakfast. Then go " s***, that's hot and let go of it" and bugger off back into the mirror. Made me chuckle every day.

Tony.

Last edited:

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
I agree with the advice above - if you want to give up you will.

But if this is not enough I suggest you visit your nearest chest hospital and just watch the people with COPD.

My dad died of this disease caused by his smoking. The day before he died he completed, as usual the Times crossword. Nothing wrong with his body and brain functions its was just his lungs ......drowned in his own liquids. At the end he just had no energy and could not get out of bed.

Alternatively, go to your nearest swimming pool and immerse your self in the water. Don't come up for air and you will soon simulate how it is to die from COPD.

You asked the question...and you have the answers .....nothing to blame but yourself (if you don't give up).

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
Many things that give pleasure might kill you, drinking, driving and so on. Once you let the nanny state loose, where will it stop.
Live fast and die young was my motto; unfortunately, didn't live fast enough!!

Brian James

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
1.9 M43 B19
...yeah ..reminds me of a quote from George Best ..."I spent all my money on fags, girls and booze.....the rest I just frttered away !"...and look what happened to him and the damage he caused to loved ones !

BTW .....no such thing as nanny state unless you are an anarchist.

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
When I was 17 a group of us girls tried smoking 😲
From the very first puff , I hated it and so did my friend, but a few of the girls still smoke today 🙁
It was just normal to smoke then 😳
I’m so glad I didn’t like it and I’ve never thought about doing it again 🌞
Also I don’t drink, sometimes I wish I did to block out sad memories ( I’m allergic to alcohol) even if I have a few sips I can end up in hospital , as it makes me really sick 😳

It’s lovely to think of all the money I’ve saved over the years , ……..
I can’t comment of trying to give up but I wish you luck 🤩

bombur

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2002 1.9 (M43)
My parents always smoked like trains. I did from 14 onwards (boarding school) until about 21. Decided one day to quit and I did and no issues. My Mum was 40 a day until she was 65 then after a doctors visit she quit that day and no issue (she had outlived my dad, they were divorced, and think that was a motivation too).Maybe it genes related and whether it's an addiction or a habit

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Smokeless Day 1
Rearanged living room
Ate one crunch chocolate
Cleaned garage
Ate three cookies
Slept for one hour
Woke up made me some coffee
Went for a walk
Stopped by the bakery and picked some croisants
Ate abovementioned croisants
Walked back home
Prepared dinner
Called wife who is away
Watched the 6 o clock news
Surfed the internet
Discovered a site that enlightened me on the subject of how many men and one woman can be together and do other things besides talking
Then watched some interesting other videos about Japanese reproductive habits.
Opened a can of beer.
Still going strong but feel extremely tired...
In about an hour I will have my dinner.
Lets see how this day ends.

bronty

British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 auto pre facelift
You are doing well
Just when that craving come and you think sod it 1 cig won't cause any harm
Ignore it shout at the tv walk the dog you don't have just do anything but give in it will soon pass
Just take each day as it goes

Geoff Crispin

Zorg Guru (III)
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 1.9 & 3.0
Started smoking a pipe in 69 but by the early/mid 90s I smoked one oz. a day of the strongest I coud buy, but cash was short as was work so just stopped and never smoked again not even a cigar at Christmas. I missed it at first but mind over matter