Smaller engines are better drivers cars?

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Anyone not driven a Z4 is welcome to try mine, but I will need to be in the passenger seat, to give you a poke with a sharp stick now and again to keep you awake:)

M

M666BMG

Anyone not driven a Z4 is welcome to try mine, but I will need to be in the passenger seat, to give you a poke with a sharp stick now and again to keep you awake:)
Hope that's all you will poke me with!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
FRANKIE !!=))

Tony.

oldcarman

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Canadian Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I think I might take that offer!! lol. If I had been driving and not Hugh when the big bellied sheriff pulled them over for speeding I'm sure I'd be someone's girlfriend for some time to come. Long hair, check; beard, check, carrying drugs, check even though prescribed. Go to jail, go directly to jail!! JIM

Z

zedonist

One of the big differences on the Z4 over the Z3 is that the rear wheels turn during cornering, which obviously makes for a better cornering car...

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
One of the big differences on the Z4 over the Z3 is that the rear wheels turn during cornering, which obviously makes for a better cornering car...
I've seen you reference this before Rich, care to share how? :)

Z

zedonist

When the suspension compresses on the rear of the Z4 the toe angle changes so the wheel turns in providing an element or rear steer about 3 degrees max. On later E89 models this was further enhanced by an optional active steering package where sensors and motors do the same job but in a more sophisticated method.

On the Z3 the camber angle changes not the toe,

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
An interesting titbit Rich. Thank you! :thumbsup:

Tony.

Z

zedonist

Thanks Tony, I just find Zeds interesting cars so read a bit...

Z

zedonist

Great comments everyone - I thought I might get shot to pieces

So the conclusion is handling vs raw power

Track day challenge :)
My choice would be the 35is I would just add an after market handling pack and bobs your uncle...

Twin Turbo

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
My choice would be the 35is I would just add an after market handling pack and bobs your uncle...
Well I see little value in an 35i - as difference in power and weight is not that great - but has an amazing engine.

The 35IS has the extra power, DSG gear box and M Adaptive suspension- but reading quite an few people change the M Adaptive suspension for after-market.

I think I need to change my tyres first - so I can remove the under stear effect, and change the suspension, for further improvements.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
A big increase in weight in the 3.0L is always going to upset the handling. I seem to remember from school that one of Newtons laws tells us something about objects wanting to move in straight lines etc. The reduced cornering is more than made up by the sweetness and power of the 6 pot though.
You pays your money and all that - whichever they are both a joy to drive :coolsteer)

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
A big increase in weight in the 3.0L is always going to upset the handling. I seem to remember from school that one of Newtons laws tells us something about objects wanting to move in straight lines etc. The reduced cornering is more than made up by the sweetness and power of the 6 pot though.
You pays your money and all that - whichever they are both a joy to drive :coolsteer)
I can't argue with that Ian. I have (currently) a 3.0 Z4 and a 2.0 Z3 (which I took for a run out with the lads yesterday) and I love them both. Great cars, .................. just different !

Tony.

Reactions: Rha
Z

zedonist

The handling problem of the straight six was remedied on the Z3M by giving it increased castor at the front which aids turn in...and made it nearly as good as an M44...

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
All this talk ON handling is (as Brian says) subjective, you may like the handling of one car and able to transfer that onto the road, but I on the other hand may not cos it doesn't suit my style of driving, you buy your mode after test drive and hopefully it suits you or you know how to change it to suit, really doesn't matter how good the car is if the Input from the driver is wrong. Yes you may be able to convince the general public that some features are what they need but experience tells us it's subjective. BMW test drivers no doubt will get the best out of the models they have the input for, but unless you can drive just like them then there's gonna have to be some compromise, that compromise I'm afraid is you and I, so just because the feature is there doesn't mean it's best for All of us.
The Z3 chassis was probably built around the 4pot engine so it's my view that they should have uprated the 4pot engine. With upgraded suspension and brakes plus a turbo / blower a 1.9/2.0 could have easily matched the 6pots for power if they'd gone down that route, and what ever happened to the E30M3 engine, why not use it for an upgrade at the time, instead of the M50/2, could it be that they wanted to push there new baby 6pot onto the public.? BMW in hindsight have done themselves no favours. Having said that I loved my first drive of the Z3 2.8, even with its shortcomings in handling, but that's all about to change, I'm going to try and make my Z handle the way I like it, so any shortcomings after that will no doubt be down to me. Z3 4pot verses 6pot handling ?? Who Cares!!!!!!!!!. Surely it's subject to who's in the driving seat that really counts. They're all great little cars even with their shortcomings.