Smaller engines are better drivers cars?

Twin Turbo

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
Well in all good humour I been thinking about the 35is - however after some reading I come a few articles saying the 28i is better handling than its bigger brother using the N54 monster.

As its 100KG lighter, and easier to turn into an corner "apparently"

Also I remember someone saying the 2ltr in the Z3 was an better handling car as well compared to the 3ltr version.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Well in all good humour I been thinking about the 35is - however after some reading I come a few articles saying the 28i is better handling than its bigger brother using the N54 monster.

As its 100KG lighter, and easier to turn into an corner "apparently"

Also I remember someone saying the 2ltr in the Z3 was an better handling car as well compared to the 3ltr version.
Not driven both so can't compare, sure some have though. Would be interesting to hear what's what.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I think it would very difficult to compare a 2.0 and a 3.0 Z3 for handling simply because of the difference in power which is sure to alter the handling.Having said that my 2.0 Z3 does do corners very well albeit on none OEM suspension.

Tony.

Rha

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 coupe sport.
I think it would very difficult to compare a 2.0 and a 3.0 Z3 for handling simply because of the difference in power which is sure to alter the handling.Having said that my 2.0 Z3 does do corners very well albeit on none OEM suspension.

Tony.
I'll second that. :thumbsup: After seeing it for myself today, motoring press eat your heart out.:watching:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
I think the differentiation is more between the might M44 1.9 and the 6cyl engines. The 2.0 is 6cyl so as heavy as the rest of the 2.x engines upfront. The 1.9 engines are lighter and said to make the car a bit more nimble without the great big lump over the front wheels. My 2.0 was as good fun to drive as my 2.2, but then there is only 20 odd bhp between them. Not driven the 1.9 so can't comment more than that as I've only driven a 2.0, 2.8, 3.0 and the 3.2 versions :D

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
There is no doubt in my mind that the 4pot motored cars are better handling than the six pot ones having driven both types with similar power output. The 28i is a very fast and powerful car and can be boosted to give enormous bhp figures. However the 4 pot motor does not deliver the torque of the Big Six, that low down push when you need it makes all the difference when it comes to the crunch. Having said that on a twisty turny road, where out and out power is not as useful as balance, give me a four pot Z3, Z4 any time.

Mikme

Connor

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Z5
Having owned both i'd say the 1,9 was more fun to drive, definitely felt lighter than the 2.8 round bends.
But the 2.8 for pure power :thumbsup:

Connor.

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
I think the differentiation is more between the might M44 1.9 and the 6cyl engines. The 2.0 is 6cyl so as heavy as the rest of the 2.x engines upfront. The 1.9 engines are lighter and said to make the car a bit more nimble without the great big lump over the front wheels. My 2.0 was as good fun to drive as my 2.2, but then there is only 20 odd bhp between them. Not driven the 1.9 so can't comment more than that as I've only driven a 2.0, 2.8, 3.0 and the 3.2 versions :D
Have a go in mine next time we meet up Gaz

MAURICE THE MARTIAN

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Z4 3.0SE AUTO
Never driven the 1.9, but had a few behind me, on bends, an I couldnt fkn loose em, on the twisty bits they seem to be in a league of their own,obviously on the straight bigger engined cars win everytime,
Going back to the 1.9 when Taffzee, Jim, had his he use to leave us for dead ont twisty bits, when he got the 2.8 could catch him with ease, lol.
Moz

Connor

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Z5
m
Never driven the 1.9, but had a few behind me, on bends, an I couldnt fkn loose em, on the twisty bits they seem to be in a league of their own,obviously on the straight bigger engined cars win everytime,
Going back to the 1.9 when Taffzee, Jim, had his he use to leave us for dead ont twisty bits, when he got the 2.8 could catch him with ease, lol.
Moz
Must be that specific 2.8 then, because I bought Jims 2.8!

Connor.

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Moz
Yep the 1.9 catches pigeons on the bends, the 2.8 was to be truthful a handful in the corners, but the Z4 would leave them both on any twisty roads, one thing about the Z4 it is far Far FAR superior in handling than the Z3:thumbsup: That's One of the things that does impresses me with the Z4.

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
m

Must be that specific 2.8 then, because I bought Jims 2.8!

Connor.
Unless you spend a fortune on suspension Connor they are all the same, the engine is a heavy lump for the car, the 1.9 is not only lighter but a lot more forgiving that the 2.8, I used to go flat out around the bends with the 1.9, try it in the 2.8 and you will probably not live to regret it. Ask Billz about the time I was by myself on the run to Elan Valley, Very near killed myself in the 2.8 but Billz couldn't catch me.

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
Really subjective topic, I have owned both a M44 1.9 and a M54 3.0 Z3, I find it hard to compare as they are poles apart in a lot of ways, the only thing they have in common is they look the same….Sort of…..Nearly! The 1.9 was a lighter but could feel nervous at high speed, the 3.0 is a big lump but gives me a planted feel but you need to haul it around the twisties :) I think driving styles will play a big factor in this discussion as one does not suit all.

Unfortunately having not driven a Z4 I cannot comment on the difference between the two but @TaffZee comment about the handling improvement makes me want to search the internet for a Z4, he he.

Connor

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 Z5
Unless you spend a fortune on suspension Connor they are all the same, the engine is a heavy lump for the car, the 1.9 is not only lighter but a lot more forgiving that the 2.8, I used to go flat out around the bends with the 1.9, try it in the 2.8 and you will probably not live to regret it. Ask Billz about the time I was by myself on the run to Elan Valley, Very near killed myself in the 2.8 but Billz couldn't catch me.
Only Kidding Jim!

My dad has the car now, is going to be his baby and hopefully continue to improve and look after the car like it should be!

Connor.

TaffZee

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0 SE
Really subjective topic, I have owned both a M44 1.9 and a M54 3.0 Z3, I find it hard to compare as they are poles apart in a lot of ways, the only thing they have in common is they look the same….Sort of…..Nearly! The 1.9 was a lighter but could feel nervous at high speed, the 3.0 is a big lump but gives me a planted feel but you need to haul it around the twisties :) I think driving styles will play a big factor in this discussion as one does not suit all.

Unfortunately having not driven a Z4 I cannot comment on the difference between the two but @TaffZee comment about the handling improvement makes me want to search the internet for a Z4, he he.
A lot less drama with the Z4, any undulation/unevenness in the road was always a seat clenching moment with the 2.8 Z3 through the bends due to its unrefined suspension, (and I agree the Z3 1.9 was un nerving at high speeds and tended to go light on the front end), the Z4 is a lot more planted. and even on really un even bends manages them with ease.

Last edited:

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
There is nothing wrong with either the Z3 or the Z4, E85/E89. The larger engined cars are far better at cruising on motorways than the smaller engined cars. They seem to be more leasurly at speed and eat up the miles. Yes, you do have to adjust your driving technique to drive a Z3 well. I like and have enjoyed both for what they are. To my way of driving, badly most of the time, the 28i is the ideal. It has more than enough power to get me in or out of trouble but the lighter engine gives the car a balanced feel that reassures when the bends come up
Mike