Simple Bluetooth & Handsfree Phone Solution

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
MSport 23i Highline
I've been through nearly as many solutions for this as I have cars but think the latest one I've found is the best so far so thought I'd share in case anyone else was looking.
Having recently reverted to the original CD43 unit that has neither AUX or Bluetooth capability I needed a wireless solution.
I'd previously had an FM transmitter that occasionally needed charging but found this one that simply plugs in to the cigarette lighter.
I simply tune one of the radio stations to the device and store it in the ashtray once removed.
For £15.99 off Amazon I've been suprised how well it works and the colour options available ensure it doesn't stick out like a saw thumb - it needs no wires and allows you to skip songs and take calls without need of touching your phone :thumbsup:
20230202_150158.jpg
20230202_150209.jpg
20230202_150446.jpg

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Garrie am i correct in thinking that the bt adapter only works with the cd43 and doesn't work on the radio cassette bmw business.

Stephen

RickyBobby

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
MSport 23i Highline
Garrie am i correct in thinking that the bt adapter only works with the cd43 and doesn't work on the radio cassette bmw business.

Stephen
No mate it will work on any stereo that has FM capability - biggest benefits for me are the fact it doesn't use wires or need charging :thumbsup:

GZed

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Prefacelift
No mate it will work on any stereo that has FM capability - biggest benefits for me are the fact it doesn't use wires or need charging :thumbsup:
Does it connect to your phone by Bluetooth, then convert that to an FM signal that can be picked up by the radio?

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
I've had similar "tune in the radio" solutions before which are ok but sound quality is a bit patchy and if you drive out of your local area you might find stations occupying the same frequency which just becomes annoying.

This is what I have - works perfectly with the CD43 and also has usb power to charge your phone if you need.

Bluetooth Music Hands free MP3 adapter Fits BMW E46 Z3 Business radio | eBay

Mus Musculus

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I've had similar "tune in the radio" solutions before which are ok but sound quality is a bit patchy and if you drive out of your local area you might find stations occupying the same frequency which just becomes annoying.

This is what I have - works perfectly with the CD43 and also has usb power to charge your phone if you need.

Bluetooth Music Hands free MP3 adapter Fits BMW E46 Z3 Business radio | eBay
So, how do you install it in a way that doesn't look overtly obvious? I mean, that seems to be a wired microphone… Where did you stash the unit?

I've gone with a Panasonic unit that does Apple Car Play, but would prefer to have the original stereo with some added modernity. ;)

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
The unit is hidden behind the centre console. I have a wire that comes out to charge the phone which sits on a Brodit mount.
The mic I have clipped to the top of the inner A pillar trim with the wire hidden behind it.
The only wire on show is the one to charge the phone - and I actually don't need that to use the system but I do like to be able to charge the phone as it also doubles as my Nav unit.
IMG_8126.jpg

Mus Musculus

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Great stuff @137699. I am really keen on going "native", having the original stereo in place.

Thanks for the details.

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50
My Zed is currently stored away for the winter, but this is one of my other cars that has the mic in the same place at the top of the A pillar
flocking2.jpg

thesecretsanta

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Nice, thanks - i'll take a look tonight and see if i can work out where to run the wires etc.

You've just got me to spend £75 at Brodit :) !

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Bought this last week and it's proved to be a good addition. Cd43 compatible Bluetooth adapter with other useful connectivity.

Sits in the CD changer slot and easily connects to the phone.

No wires. No nothing in sight. Still needs the side clips but I'll make do with my Rover radio. It's needed for other potential mods. 😁

Screenshot_20230215_222313_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

IMG_20230211_154604.jpg

thesecretsanta

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Just finished installing this same set-up:

Brodit ProClip Angled High Mount
Brodit Magnetic Wireless iPhone Charger with tilt (USB C plug so using a USB C to A adapter to connect to the bluetooth module)
Bluetooth module - Bluetooth Music Hands free MP3 adapter Fits BMW E46 Z3 Business radio | eBay
BMW Business Radio

It's looking great and all working well - wires are hidden where possible and tucked neatly out of sight from the phone holder charger. Bluetooth unit tucked in the hole where the headunit sits - plenty of space even with all the extra wires. I'll put some pics on shortly.

Problem - I'm getting a loud fast ticking noise through the speakers related to the wireless charger. When i turn the volume on the headunit up, the noise gets louder. When i take my phone off the charger it stops. So it feels like it's some sort of interference generated when the charger is drawing power from the bluetooth adapter. I tried it with a wired charger and it stops, i've tried it with a different wireless charger and it starts again.

Anyone else have a similar set-up with a similar issue? or similar setup without this issue?

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
M Coupe 3.2 S50

Scooblitz

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Those of you missing the screw covers, I have bought from this seller before - they're not perfect but more than acceptable and much nicer than looking at two holes on the dashboard!

Had seen this. Might hunt for some OEM ones despite being x6 the price.

Last edited:

WEZ1963

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2 Sport
Just finished installing this same set-up:

Brodit ProClip Angled High Mount
Brodit Magnetic Wireless iPhone Charger with tilt (USB C plug so using a USB C to A adapter to connect to the bluetooth module)
Bluetooth module - Bluetooth Music Hands free MP3 adapter Fits BMW E46 Z3 Business radio | eBay
BMW Business Radio

It's looking great and all working well - wires are hidden where possible and tucked neatly out of sight from the phone holder charger. Bluetooth unit tucked in the hole where the headunit sits - plenty of space even with all the extra wires. I'll put some pics on shortly.

Problem - I'm getting a loud fast ticking noise through the speakers related to the wireless charger. When i turn the volume on the headunit up, the noise gets louder. When i take my phone off the charger it stops. So it feels like it's some sort of interference generated when the charger is drawing power from the bluetooth adapter. I tried it with a wired charger and it stops, i've tried it with a different wireless charger and it starts again.

Anyone else have a similar set-up with a similar issue? or similar setup without this issue?
Did you manage to get the interference sorted? 🤔

thesecretsanta

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 3.0
Nope…currently have the charger disconnected - all working very well, just no charge going through…planning to spend a bit of time investigating but no idea how to block the interference without blocking the Bluetooth…