Selling or Not Selling?

Rui Almeida

Dedicated Member
Hi Guys,

For at least the past month that I have been thinking of selling my Z3 and buying another brand's roadster, quite fancied something different and faster.
Today I looked through the window and I felt that it's probably the power(feel) reason that could probably make me sell my z3 not the car itself.
So I am currently driving a 2L Straight 6cyl with about 114k miles FSH and matching Hardtop. Been driving it for almost a year no with no issues at all. And that's what it gets my head is just me that feels that the 2L 150bhp is actually slow and heavy and what should I do? Much difference on the 2.2 sport? Sell it and get a bigger engine one?

Thanks for any feedback.
Ps: yes I don't drive it every day but kinda fall in love again and again every time I go for a drive but could just do with a bit more power I guess.

Cheers
Rui

Attachments

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Nice looking car you have to be looking 2.8 and upwards but i would go and test drive a few and see what gives you the feel your after :thumbsup:

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
I'd look at bigger engines if you like everything else about the zed. Mines a 2.8 and is enough for me....

Rui Almeida

Dedicated Member
Nice looking car you have to be looking 2.8 and upwards but i would go and test drive a few and see what gives you the feel your after :thumbsup:
Thanks. Isn't perfect but looks look.
Yeah you might be right. I have been surprised on how heavy this car is and off course being addicted to the 6cyl engine could never go 1.9 4cyl to make it lighter.
Was wondering if I could do something to mine but even a swap wouldn't be on my plans.

Maybe just need to sell mine and find a better balance after.

Rui Almeida

Dedicated Member
I'd look at bigger engines if you like everything else about the zed. Mines a 2.8 and is enough for me....
Have you ever drove one with the 2.0L engine? If yes did you feel much difference?
When I was buying my car I test drove a 2.2 that felt quicker already but was the same money and way worse condition.

Thanks

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
A 2.8 or 3.0 are good options.

BMBabe

Zorg Expert (I)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
@Mnbrennan has had a 2.0 he has driven my 2.2 loads and he owns a 2.8
Over to you martin ......

BMBabe

Zorg Expert (I)
Staff member
Supporter
British Zeds
Community Admin
Model of Z
Z3
Btw I think my 2.2 is awesome the pops and burbles gets me smiling everytime :thumbsup:

billz

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 3.0si Individual Ruby Black Last one produced in this colour combo
I met with @Low Rider on Sunday and have to say his Zed sounded really good.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Not driven any other variants but my 2.8 is an absolute hoot to drive. Decent acceleration and oudles of torque, she just pulls in 5th from 30mph all the way and as soon as she hits about 3500rpm she's off like a robbers dog. If you want a lazy drive you can just sit in 5th most of the time but if you want that grin factor ................:D As said, try a few 2.8 or 3.0 to gauge a feel.

Rui Almeida

Dedicated Member
Thanks to everyone.
I think I might need to test drive the 2.2 and 2.8 for now. Will eventually put mine for sale here if anyone is interested.

Thanks

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
Hi Rui

I'm fortunate to have both a 2.0 L and 3.0 L Z3.

If more power is what you are after and you are happy to change cars, then the 3.0 L (231 hp) has more than enough get up and go to blow your hair back. Try one out and buy one.

My daily drive is the 2.0 L (M52TUB20 engine) and its a joy to drive around town and has ample get up and go on the open road. This wasn't always so. It was a slow lump when I first got it and had to sort out a few things to get it right:

- Replaced the VANOS seals at 94,000 miles. Wow, best bang for my bucks, sorted the sluggish lump around town problem. The difference is very noticeable and I recommend to everyone to get the seals done.

- New Plugs and fixed a couple of small vacuum leaks. Basic maintenance to get the engine running right

- Run it exclusively on the highest octane fuel available to me. We have Premium 98 down-under. The 2.0 L engine has the highest compression ratio of any of the M52 or M54 engines at 11:1. Its designed for high octane fuel and will under perform if you feed it lower octane fuel. Yes it costs a bit more, but it increases the performance and the size of the smile on your dial.

If you have not done the 3 items above, then I would suggest that you consider doing them first before selling your car. Maybe find someone with a 2.0 L Z3 that has already done the work and take it for a drive to see what its like.

Hope this helps

Regards

Murray

Rui Almeida

Dedicated Member
Hi Murray
Thats great thanks. In town is when I actually feel it going decently pulling in 2nd gear the problem was last time I went on a road trip around 400mi round trip and doing 60mph if I would go up a hill it will start dying on me and will ask me for 4th at round 60mph.
Is due to a service and I don't run it on high octane so I think I will include another 2L on my next text drives.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hi Rui

I'm fortunate to have both a 2.0 L and 3.0 L Z3.

If more power is what you are after and you are happy to change cars, then the 3.0 L (231 hp) has more than enough get up and go to blow your hair back. Try one out and buy one.

My daily drive is the 2.0 L (M52TUB20 engine) and its a joy to drive around town and has ample get up and go on the open road. This wasn't always so. It was a slow lump when I first got it and had to sort out a few things to get it right:

- Replaced the VANOS seals at 94,000 miles. Wow, best bang for my bucks, sorted the sluggish lump around town problem. The difference is very noticeable and I recommend to everyone to get the seals done.

- New Plugs and fixed a couple of small vacuum leaks. Basic maintenance to get the engine running right

- Run it exclusively on the highest octane fuel available to me. We have Premium 98 down-under. The 2.0 L engine has the highest compression ratio of any of the M52 or M54 engines at 11:1. Its designed for high octane fuel and will under perform if you feed it lower octane fuel. Yes it costs a bit more, but it increases the performance and the size of the smile on your dial.

If you have not done the 3 items above, then I would suggest that you consider doing them first before selling your car. Maybe find someone with a 2.0 L Z3 that has already done the work and take it for a drive to see what its like.

Hope this helps

Regards

Murray

NZ00Z3

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
3.0L, 2.8L, 2.0L Z3 Roadsters
If it comes to life only when the rev's are 3,000 rpm or more, then it's a sign that the VANOS seals are stuffed. It should have reasonable power below 3,000 rpm with good seals.

Yes I also notice that going up hills also requires 4th gear. It all part of owning a 150 hp car and is a lot better after doing the seals.

julie z3

As others have said you really need to try another car before passing judgment,we have a 2.8 manual and a3.0 auto and I think the auto is actually quicker. Yes it has more power than the 2.8 but it's just much easier to to use especially off the mark. Never had the pleasure of driving/owning an M and although it's something I,d like but I,m not sure my driving ability is up to making the most of it !

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
You could always try a Z4 2.5 or 3.0 Rui, if only to see the differences.

Tony.