Sean d progress thread

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
Or better still put it on @Bozzy progress thread for him?
Thanks @Grumpy for trying to find this info for me :cool:.
I don't really understand the techy stuff with off sets and all that. Been talking to Tony and I'm going for hubcentric spacers,20 mm rear and 12mm front all being well,same as his Z3 ;).

Steve

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Thanks @Grumpy for trying to find this info for me :cool:.
I don't really understand the techy stuff with off sets and all that. Been talking to Tony and I'm going for hubcentric spacers,20 mm rear and 12mm front all being well,same as his Z3 ;).

Steve
Mine are hub centric 20mm all round mate.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Sean,
LOVE this photo. That would make an awesome wall poster. Read through the majority of the thread to catch up. What an awesome job you've done with this build. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what you're going to do next and I'm inspired to get back to work on mines.
Thanks for your kind words.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
There's a set of 108's 18" staggered on ebay now due to finish in 3 hours. There upto £160 but need tyres and a referb. Good buy for someone tho surely.
I asked that seller for a buy it now and he wanted £160, I took a gamble on the other set as they are in much better condition with 2 good p7s, luckily it paid off

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Picked the wheels up today and they are not that bad, all need a refurb but the rears are the worse

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Made a start today on one of the fronts, couldn't get a lot done as the shop is very busy, got it split and only snapped one bolt, heated up the stud and got it out quite easily so no major problems so far,
wheel1.jpg
wheel2.jpg

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Good thread this Sean, I've never seen a rim split.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Good thread this Sean, I've never seen a rim split.
Cheers pal, first one I have ever split, the bolts where bloody tight and I really thought I would snap a few, will have to wait and see how the others go.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Cheers pal, first one I have ever split, the bolts where bloody tight and I really thought I would snap a few, will have to wait and see how the others go.
Slowly does it.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Heat them up Sean with an industrial hot air gun, that way should not damage paintwork. Use plenty of WD40 on each allan bolt. Hope you don't break any more.

Mike

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Heat them up Sean with an industrial hot air gun, that way should not damage paintwork. Use plenty of WD40 on each allan bolt. Hope you don't break any more.

Mike
Cheers Mike, thats exactly what I did, the other wheels have had a good dose of WD and have been left to soak, there had been the usual reaction between steel and alloy, thats why they where so tight, I thought they would have had lock tight on them but no signs of it, I will need to get the torque settings for them from somewhere and source some new bolts.

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Well I surprised myself today, I really fancied having the rims on the 108s polished rather than painted but they are heavily curbed so I got stuck in with a hand grinder with a strip and clean disc, this quickly removed the ally back enough to get rid of the curb marks but left its own damage, so I started with 120 grit and worked my way down to 3000, then used g3 compound, it looked polished but just lacked sharpness, had a dig in the cupboard and found some autosol, gave it a go and it now looks like chrome, I'm really impressed as its the look I want to go with the gold inner,
its time consuming but well worth it,
w1.jpg
w2.jpg
w3.jpg
w4.jpg
w5.jpg
w6.jpg

Conrad

Zorg Addict
American Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 i
Wow Sean, that's pretty impressive!!
Are you going to clear coat them?

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8
Wow Sean, that's pretty impressive!!
Are you going to clear coat them?
Thanks Conrad, yes I will be clear coating them with a lecleur product that is designed to stick to almost anything, even glass apparently.

Brian4

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3 3.0i Auto
Cheers Mike, thats exactly what I did, the other wheels have had a good dose of WD and have been left to soak, there had been the usual reaction between steel and alloy, thats why they where so tight, I thought they would have had lock tight on them but no signs of it, I will need to get the torque settings for them from somewhere and source some new bolts.
Hi Sean the 108's are made by BBS and the correct bolts are titanium and are not cheap and looks as if they were supplied with thread lock applied at factory..
Looks as if torque is 25 ft/lbs

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...4mm+For+BBS+2+Piece+Split+Rim+Wheels&_sacat=0

Sean d

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8

Conrad

Zorg Addict
American Zeds
Model of Z
3.0 i
Sounds a little scary putting a wheel back together without it. Wouldn't want tu wheel to come aparto_O