RIP M52 - Victim of the Nordschleife

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I’ve not wrecked anything. Just blown the engine up good n propper. The one I just fitted
Fair enough. I’m told that if I bring back SWMBO’s car broken then it’s wrecked. :whistle:

Sounds like you were an ace away from a seized bottom bearing and broken pistons though. Guess you won’t know if the damage is limited to the bearing shells until it’s stripped down.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
look on the bright side,

the nuts and bolts won't be rusted in...... :thumbsup:

every cloud and all that.
Brilliant, Wife even called me a pillock on the phone and said "I guess you're going to fit that V8 now"

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Brilliant, Wife even called me a pillock on the phone and said "I guess you're going to fit that V8 now"
Now if that is all and you got a V8 blessing, you have married very well young man, look after her!

Brian H

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
E36/7 3.0i - E85 Z4///M
My vote goes to a supercharged 3.0 :) always wanted to do this to my Z3.

Reactions: Lee

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
Sorry to hear that it's died Lee, you need a good 3.0 and some sump mods. At least it waited until the end of the trip. :(

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Once a petrol head always a petrol head :rally:

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Lee touching on what Mike said .
Is there a mod to do to the sump to stop a repeat if you were to rebuild the damaged engine.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Is a "dry Sump" set up an option?

Tony.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Bugger! A good test of the set-up though. Be interested to read the next chapter :thumbsup:

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
I am sure someone must have dry sumped these engines, would be an interesting project. Not much room for parts though.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Would remove the prospect of a similar issue though Mike.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
|I wonder if the Drifter community have done similar to protect their engines?

Tony.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
All great points guys, I'll look into the pro's n cons of them all.

On a different note though if you do a lot of track days and spirited driving the Ring ticks all the boxes. I feel confident in saying a once a year trip to the ring will satisfy me. The best way to describe the ring is like driving in the Scottish highlands but with no speed limits. It's so twisty, hilly. blind corners blind brows it's mad.

Well worth doing.

mmm-five

Zorg Addict
British Zeds
Model of Z
E86 Z4MC
The part of the track you're describing is Wehrseifen down into Breidschied (where your hotel was) and then up Ex-Mühle through Lauda Links to Bergwerk (the uphill, cambered 'hairpin').

Have the RAC actually collected the car yet? Have you made sure they're collect you from the 'Ring and aren't going to refuse to recover the car?

I only ask as Green Flag refused to repatriate mine when I had a similar problem - as they said I'd been on track (and I didn't deny it obviously).

Unfortunately they didn't tell me any of this until a week later when I was safely back home in the UK.

Had to get it recovered myself at a cost of about £1500 - which has since been recovered after a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
The part of the track you're describing is Wehrseifen down into Breidschied (where your hotel was) and then up Ex-Mühle through Lauda Links to Bergwerk (the uphill, cambered 'hairpin').

Have the RAC actually collected the car yet? Have you made sure they're collect you from the 'Ring and aren't going to refuse to recover the car?

I only ask as Green Flag refused to repatriate mine when I had a similar problem - as they said I'd been on track (and I didn't deny it obviously).

Unfortunately they didn't tell me any of this until a week later when I was safely back home in the UK.

Had to get it recovered myself at a cost of about £1500 - which has since been recovered after a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.
It's a very good point you've raised. For that reason I've not stated I was on track (although a bit obvious) and nowhere in the T&C's does it state they wont collect for that reason. For this very reason I have a plan B on standby for collection, A local guy has offered to transport the car for £520 within the next couple of weeks. Going to see how the RAC pan out as they have to prove I was on track if they want to be difficult (which wouldn't be hard) and go from there. To be honest like you've experienced I'm not holding much hope for them to bring it back.

I've been told I should get a decision today.