Replacing roofs, soggy interiors and wobbly seats help!

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
OK so I'm possibly about to pull the trigger on buying Z number two, its a bit of a project but I'm feeling like I haven't spent thousands of pounds on something I don't need in at least a year or so, time to shake things up a bit. Also my girlfriend likes to find things to moan about and she's running out, need to keep her happy to. I think blocking her car in with two Z3's should cure that!

Anyway, this particular vehicle is suffering from a roof that is in dire need of replacement. I understand that Jack Smith in Swansea is the place to go but can anyone suggest any other similarly priced places? Only this is going to need doing ASAP as the thing is leaking like a sieve!

Question number two, any suggestions on the best way to dry out an interior that is... well. Soggy. There is a small amount of mould on the passenger seat that I'm sure will clean off but the rest appears mould free. However the carpets are damp to the touch and insides of the windows mist up.

Finally (well at least for needs fixing now list) both the passenger and drivers seats move approx an inch forward and backwards on the runners when stationary. Not only is this a pain the proverbial it also appears slightly dangerous. Is this a DIY fix for a complete no hope'r such as myself and if so any idea of costs?

Any help much appreciated!

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
OK so I'm possibly about to pull the trigger on buying Z number two, its a bit of a project but I'm feeling like I haven't spent thousands of pounds on something I don't need in at least a year or so, time to shake things up a bit. Also my girlfriend likes to find things to moan about and she's running out, need to keep her happy to. I think blocking her car in with two Z3's should cure that!

Anyway, this particular vehicle is suffering from a roof that is in dire need of replacement. I understand that Jack Smith in Swansea is the place to go but can anyone suggest any other similarly priced places? Only this is going to need doing ASAP as the thing is leaking like a sieve!

Question number two, any suggestions on the best way to dry out an interior that is... well. Soggy. There is a small amount of mould on the passenger seat that I'm sure will clean off but the rest appears mould free. However the carpets are damp to the touch and insides of the windows mist up.

Finally (well at least for needs fixing now list) both the passenger and drivers seats move approx an inch forward and backwards on the runners when stationary. Not only is this a pain the proverbial it also appears slightly dangerous. Is this a DIY fix for a complete no hope'r such as myself and if so any idea of costs?

Any help much appreciated!
Hello mate, not sure about the roof, others will advise. The seat bushes are goosed, if you look in the tech articles there's a "how to fix them" . You can buy them from a forum member, £10 + p&p. Easy job, I did it. I would suggest a dehumidifier to dry out the interior post getting as much as you can out. You may well want to check under the carpets and sound proofing to check the amount. :)

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Hello mate, not sure about the roof, others will advise. The seat bushes are goosed, if you look in the tech articles there's a "how to fix them" . You can buy them from a forum member, £10 + p&p. Easy job, I did it. I would suggest a dehumidifier to dry out the interior post getting as much as you can out. You may well want to check under the carpets and sound proofing to check the amount. :)
I would agree with you Andy. If the carpets are that wet remove and leave on the drive to dry out. I use £1 moisture collectors to keep the damp down but a dehumidifier sounds a must in the first place.

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Yeah I think this particular vehicle has had a good drenching, I think it can be saved but I think removing the interior might be the way to go.

Dickymint

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
as you have to take out the seats anyway taking out or at least lifting as much of the carpet as you can is a must, dehumidifiers are ok but after using one a few years ago it ruined the rubber seals they kind of shrank and went limp, a bit like me as I'm getting older :p

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
I had this problem with my first zed if the carpets feel damp you are really gonna have a lot of water in there.
They can be drenched and feel dry to the touch so they may be really wet or you may be lucky and it be on the top. I stripped the interior out seats and carpets and then the sound proofing.
The proofing is dense foam and holds alot of water you can squeeze alot of it out but i stood mine up to drain it then it stood by a radiator to dry out the rest before refitting.
The seat should clean but i brought an interior with water damage and nothing cleaned it, so i had to redye. If water is left too long it can mould right through and having tried everything and speaking to the experts a redye was the only fix.
Sounds like a great project though :thumbsup:

DirtyDog

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3
I have had to pull out my interior recently, the carpet felt dry, but the foam insulation underneath was soaked..
I think the only way to properly dry the car out is to remove everything, its not too bad a job to do, lots to take off but for once I found it all went back on easier than it came out. They took about a week in the sun to fully dry...
As for the seats, mine were covered in black mildew and a plastic bag had dyed my Lotus white seats a lovely patterned red.
Again, first for me re dying seats, but a relatively easy cheap job with good results, just take your time and don't apply too thick a coat.

Good luck