Replacement 433Mhz remote control key

Miky2147

Hello, I have a BMW Z3 2.8 from 1999. A very unpleasant event happened: while my car was stored in an authorized BMW workshop, there was a fire inside the building. Fortunately, my Z3 was parked outside the building so it did not suffer any damage.
But in the fire all the car keys kept in the workshop were burned, including the original remote control key for my BMW Z3.
The key was the 433Mhz remote control version, no longer available at BMW. On eBay I see that there are Chinese copies, but I would like to buy an original BMW key because the replicas have horrible key feedback. I found someone who could sell me a remote control key for an E36 that should be compatible with my Z3. Attached pictures. Do you confirm?
I think it is possible to reprogram the internal electronic board and insert a new transponder for use with my Z3. Right?
The only problem I see is: is it possible to replace the metal part of the key with a new one suitable for my car?
Do you know if the metal of the key is fused to the plastic or if it is replaceable?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

Miky2147

The workshop informs that the original 433 Mhz remote control key can no longer be ordered from BMW. I also asked BMW directly who confirmed the same thing. The BMW workshop tried to provide me with a normal replacement key without remote control but I refused because it did not comply. I will therefore ask the BMW workshop for compensation for damages. But I had to organize myself for the key.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 M43 1.8 (1999) and Z4 E85 2.5 (2003)
Mobile locksmith should be able to cut and code a key, I used one to code a cut key I had from eBay and cut locally. Cost me £130 just for coding the transponder to the EWS

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
The point remains that if it can be done, then BMW should be able to supply one.

Tony.

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The newer square/diamond one, works just fine and can be programmed to the ecu by any locksmith. So yes, I agree with @t-tony bmw should be providing these as replacements but they seem too busy designing horrendous grilles.

Miky2147

The best option I've found to get an original key and not a Chinese copy is to buy a used one. So does anyone know if the key "blade" is replaceable or if it's irreplaceable because it's fused to plastic? Thank you

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
The blade is moulded into the plastic fob and cannot be transferred to a replacement fob.
The keys have two distinct systems inside them, a printed circuit board that operates the central locking functions and can be programmed to your car using a sequence of button pushes when you sit inside the car. If you have more than one key each key has to be programmed immediately after the first in order for the system to accept the keys. There are threads on here explaining how to do this.
The second system is the security transponder that is a small black almost coffin shaped transponder that is laid inside the fob alongside the printed circuit board. This contains the cars identity and key code that is read by the key aerial around the ignition switch and speaks to the cars EWS system and cross checks the key identity and a rolling code it was given the last time it was used, it changes each time the key is used. The transponder requires no power source to work. The battery in the key only supplies the printed circuit part of the key for central locking functions.
The transponder has to be coded to your cars EWS module for it to work if its a new key.
If you buy an ebay key and get the blade cut by a locksmith you could recover the transponder from your original key and insert that into the new fob, the car will recognise it as your original key and allow the EWS to start the car.
I use an ebay replacement key on my Z4 and have done so for the last 3 years, no problems with the quality of the key or blade.

id101

Dedicated Member
Mobile locksmith should be able to cut and code a key, I used one to code a cut key I had from eBay and cut locally. Cost me £130 just for coding the transponder to the EWS
Do you have a link to who you used? I tried someone local but they didn't have the machine and said would get back to me about doing it but never did.

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
Away at the moment will look up who I used when back

colb

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
I used Ed Jones mobile auto locksmith based in South Wales https://www.ejml.co.uk/
He coded a key I already had cut but can supply and cut them code it. Be aware both keys will require syncing one after the other to set the central locking using the finger dance on the key buttons.

id101

Dedicated Member
I used Ed Jones mobile auto locksmith based in South Wales https://www.ejml.co.uk/
He coded a key I already had cut but can supply and cut them code it. Be aware both keys will require syncing one after the other to set the central locking using the finger dance on the key buttons.
Fantastic cheers