Recommended Gearbox Oil

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
Hi,

I just contacted my local BMW stealer to request details on the recommended manual gearbox oil for my Z3, 2.2, 2002, (plus I gave them the reg no. & VIN no. as well), and was told that they could not advise unless the car was up on the ramps to check the tag plate on the side of the gearbox. :-o

Is there so many variations of oil......or was it that they did not wish to advise 'joe public' and lose the possible trade?

Recommended oils would be appreciated.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
At you doing this change yourself TWO? I had mine changed at an Indy and they put in BMW recommended oil. I'll try and find the receipt later and see what it was they used.

TWO

Zorg Guru (I)
Model of Z
Z Sport Roadster 2.2
GazHyde said:
At you doing this change yourself TWO?
I was intending too, but as a mate has got a car hoist, I thought it would be far easier to let him do it.

I was just trying to obtain the oil PRIOR to the car being jacked up and waisting time :ymsigh:

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

La_vida_diver

Zorg Guru (I)
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
There are I think three coloured labels on the side of the gearboxes (both of mine are yellow) the yellow is a BMW lifetime oils and I have chased Opie oils twice and they have not come back with an equivalent. From memory, and i can check tomorrow as i have the manual with me, the other labels are red and green. It identifies the type of oil for that particular gearbox. I have the Castrol version of the rear axle oil at home and will post when I get home. (it is another lifetime oil) what worries me about lifetime oils are that is it the "lifetime of the BMW warranty or what they expect a car to do in the ten years cars are supposed to be designed for? I feel that I would like to make sure I know what my oils have been put through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

peteslag

Zorg Legend
Model of Z
Z4M
La_vida_diver said:
There are I think three coloured labels on the side of the gearboxes (both of mine are yellow) the yellow is a BMW lifetime oils and I have chased Opie oils twice and they have not come back with an equivalent. From memory, and i can check tomorrow as i have the manual with me, the other labels are red and green. It identifies the type of oil for that particular gearbox. I have the Castrol version of the rear axle oil at home and will post when I get home. (it is another lifetime oil) what worries me about lifetime oils are that is it the "lifetime of the BMW warranty or what they expect a car to do in the ten years cars are supposed to be designed for? I feel that I would like to make sure I know what my oils have been put through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Duncan, BMW isn't the only car maker that uses "filled for life" oils, my old Jag had it in the gearbox and diff. The rule of thumb for Jags was about 80-100,000 miles of "normal" driving, I can't see BMW being much different. Mind you, a few more of Jims cruises might shorten the life of your oil. Like you say, it depends on what the car has been put through. :coolsteer)

Pete