Rear suspension settings

Bob Farrell

New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
My 1999 2.8 Z3 had been badly lowered and I have raised it back to standard ride height. Does anyone know what the "real" rear camber figure should be. I know it is not adjustable but would like to know what it should be as there still looks to be too much camber - Thanks, Bob

Poprin

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
3.0 Roadster + *cough* MX5 project
Hi Bob, I don't know the figures but I've just had my rear shocks and top mounts replaced and my standard springs refitted as the previous owner fitted a spurious set of lowering springs that totally wrecked my rear suspension.

The rear wheels have a visually noticeable camber as standard.

Just need to sort the front end out now...

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
None what so ever. The rear of the Z3 is fixed by its bushes etc. If you have too much camber the beam bushes have likely collapsed. Get a ruler on the wheel and a spirit level. I think it says what is and is not acceptable in the Bentley manual.

Lee

Shelly

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 2.0 20i M Sport sDrive
:welcome:Hi and welcome from me too :p

Bob Farrell

New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
None what so ever. The rear of the Z3 is fixed by its bushes etc. If you have too much camber the beam bushes have likely collapsed. Get a ruler on the wheel and a spirit level. I think it says what is and is not acceptable in the Bentley manual.

Lee
Hi Lee - Thanks for that. I know about the non adjustment etc. but what I am trying to find is what the measured figure SHOULD BE. I have the gear to measure it but getting the actual, correct setting seems to be about as difficult as trying to get a formula to turn lead in to gold.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
According to the Bentley manual, the camber for 6 cylinder cars should be -2 degrees 20 minutes plus or minus 30 minutes for standard suspension and -2, 50 plus or minus 30 for sport suspension.

Bob Farrell

New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
According to the Bentley manual, the camber for 6 cylinder cars should be -2 degrees 20 minutes plus or minus 30 minutes for standard suspension and -2, 50 plus or minus 30 for sport suspension.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Tell me - What is the "Bentley Manual" which keeps being mentioned ? Here in the Colonies I've not seen it or heard of it - Cheers.

mwpe

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
Model of Z
That seems to be the E36 but not the E36/7 which is the Z, some of it will be relevant but no specific Z stuff.

The Bentley manual is quite pricey but is quite comprehensive, much better than the Haynes manual which I find to be about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. The only thing to watch is that it is American and therefore all the specifications are for the American models and the language is American.

Bob Farrell

New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Hi Lee - Thanks for that. I know about the non adjustment etc. but what I am trying to find is what the measured figure SHOULD BE. I have the gear to measure it but getting the actual, correct setting seems to be about as difficult as trying to get a formula to turn lead in to gold.
Hi again Lee - There shouldn't be a problem with the Bentley file size at 220mb however the easiest way I have found to send big files is on Skype. Worth a try if you use it. Cheers, Bob

Bob Farrell

New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
@Bob Farrell Lets try it over Skype. PM me your username.
Hi Lee - Sorry o mess you about however I've been informed that the best way is to send it to my gmail address : **** - that apparently is better than Skype. - You will have to log in to my Google account with **** and upload to my Google 'Cloud' storage and I download from there. Hope that makes sense. - Cheers, Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Dino D

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Manual
Google drive is indeed an excellent way to share files but you don't need to give anybody your password.
They can simply do it via their google account like this:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822?hl=en

If they don't have or wish to have a google account then dropbox is another popular storage/fileshare system that give free storage.
Microsofts Onedrive is another good one. There are of course many others and very handy to have.

These storage/fileshare systems are good as you can easily give out a link in future without uploading the file each time. You can also control the access by password.

If you want a statightforward file share only (i.e. No long term storage) then 'wetransfer' is a good free service https://www.wetransfer.com
Don't bother with the mobile app. Just use the website- it's imply uploads your file and then send an email with a link to the other person- the link expires in 7 days (or so can't remember for sure). The other person then just downloads it to their machine.

Bob Farrell

New Zealand Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
Google drive is indeed an excellent way to share files but you don't need to give anybody your password.
They can simply do it via their google account like this:
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822?hl=en

If they don't have or wish to have a google account then dropbox is another popular storage/fileshare system that give free storage.
Microsofts Onedrive is another good one. There are of course many others and very handy to have.

These storage/fileshare systems are good as you can easily give out a link in future without uploading the file each time. You can also control the access by password.

If you want a statightforward file share only (i.e. No long term storage) then 'wetransfer' is a good free service https://www.wetransfer.com
Don't bother with the mobile app. Just use the website- it's imply uploads your file and then send an email with a link to the other person- the link expires in 7 days (or so can't remember for sure). The other person then just downloads it to their machine.
Thanks Dino - Something new learned every day - Bob