Re-Dying (Picture Heavy)

BavarIAN

Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Are you doing your seats @BavarIAN?
It's the next job on my list. I have black and blue sports seats and the drivers one has some wear and I need to re-colour it. I'm wondering whether I can just do the wear areas or whether it would make sense to do the whole seat. Any views?

Jack Ratt

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
The West Country
Model of Z
2.8i AUTO and 2.8i MANUAL
It's the next job on my list. I have black and blue sports seats and the drivers one has some wear and I need to re-colour it. I'm wondering whether I can just do the wear areas or whether it would make sense to do the whole seat. Any views?
If you can get a good colour match you can get away with just doing the wear area, just as I did with my drivers seat bolster, but if your car is not a daily driver and you have time I would do the whole seat.

Grumps

Always happy, apart from when I'm not 🤬
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Yep you can touch in mate. If you go back up the thread a bit you'll see where Martin @Mnbrennan has just done his bolster.

Thomas Darwin

What are the BMW manufacturer codes for the light beige and tan beige on the scuff master website?

Grumpy, did you use any filler? I can't find the filler on the liquid leather website or am I being blind again?!

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
No filler used Thomas and I didn't give them a code. I rang them up and they took basic details from me and sent out the colours. The middle lighter colour isn't original to the car. It's BMW sand beige. The darker colour is the original and is BMW dark beige but be careful as there are a couple if variants. @Antm72 may be able to shed a bit more light on it for you.

Thomas Darwin

the darker colour is my cars original so should be on the VIN plate somewhere. Time to get out the magnifying glass.

I'll give them a call in the week. Definitely on my to-do list as the drivers bolster is pretty scuffed and I'm not a huge fan of the ostrich effect.

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
the darker colour is my cars original so should be on the VIN plate somewhere. Time to get out the magnifying glass.

I'll give them a call in the week. Definitely on my to-do list as the drivers bolster is pretty scuffed and I'm not a huge fan of the ostrich effect.
My seats were pretry good, it was the ostrich effect that caused me to do it. Don't know if you've been through the thread but I did the door cards as well for the same reason.

Gundun

Zorg Legend
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
2.2i Sport Line Individual
Excellent job!
Could I use the same products for re-dyeing my steering wheel or would I need a different kind of dye...?

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Excellent job!
Could I use the same products for re-dyeing my steering wheel or would I need a different kind of dye...?
I did the two tabs on the wheel but didn't try the rest. Try it, you can remove it if it doesn't take well.

Antm72

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
They do a kit for redying a steering wheel its all in the prep but there should be no reason why not my seats have been done just over a year and show no wear :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Grumps

Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z4 e85 2.5i
Just read this whole thread again. Really good read, I'll be doing it all over again when I eventually get some sports seats.

Jimmy Weston

Zorg Legend
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 induvidual
Good info ant , as you know I'm doing a leather project at the mo, your attention detail on your interior is amazing.

Slam

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Zedless. Mini GP 1379
I used two 250 ml dyes the lighter colour i used nearly all of it the darker one i have loads of left.
Its not much more expensive to order bigger amounts the cost is the mixing its odd they quote £13 for 65ml and its only £16 for 250ml it has a 3 year life just as long as you store it somewhere it doesn't freeze.
What were the 2 colours you used ant ?

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

handsomejackuk

Zorg Guru (III)
Australian Zeds
The M44 Massive
i had a can of semi gloss aerosol cellulose made up by my local motor factors he been mixing paint for years and i used cellulose for my steering wheel and it came out real good, mine is the light beige, i think he put the paint code / ral number on the can i still have loads left after doing the wheel and have touched up a few marks on my leather with cellulose and it matches great... just need to pluck up the courage to attempt my seat bolster... check my pics on my steering wheel refurb...

Ryan

Dedicated Member
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.2i Sport
I used two 250 ml dyes the lighter colour i used nearly all of it the darker one i have loads of left.
Its not much more expensive to order bigger amounts the cost is the mixing its odd they quote £13 for 65ml and its only £16 for 250ml it has a 3 year life just as long as you store it somewhere it doesn't freeze.
Hi Ant, would you say 1x 250ml bottle would do the seats, gaiters and door cards? I have the 2 tone seats (Blue/black) and I wanted to check if you used 2 of each colour on yours or 1 of each. Would I need to buy 4x250ml? Great work by the way, inspiring me to do mine