Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Hi All,

This is a thread that I'm creating about a new Corsa 1.3 CDTI that I've purchased, it's a very basic car and is intended to be used on a daily basis for my rather long commute to work.

I purchased the car relatively cheap as the car had been standing on a drive for almost 2 years (this is what the owner has said anyway) - it still has the 2014 tax disc - and the last mot expired in April 2015

When I purchased the car I did so knowing that there may be a few problems, namely:
- Knocking from front of car (intermittent and goes away sometimes)
- Car had been stood for a long time, so possible corrosion in places and poor bodywork.
- Full service history up until 50, 000 - after which there is none - the car is currently at 74, 000 miles
- Puncture on one tyre and low air on another tyre
- Spare wheel fitted in place of tyre

Despite this, I took my chances and got the car.

This is what it looked like when I got it (FYI:- This is the lovely car that fell on me whilst I was lying underneath)

1.jpg
2.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

This is what it looks like now - I am still waiting to properly detail the interior of the car and I will update this thread as I make progress on this car

14.jpg
15.jpg

MOT 07.09.16

The car went in for an MOT today and surprisingly the fail list was not as long as I had expected -
Screenshot_20160907-142527.png

I've already asked @t-tony - who should be able to help explain one or two things to me - mainly the issue about the reverse travel.

Things I've done to the Car Mechanically

When I got the car, the first thing was service the car properly. The oil in the engine was *HORRIBLE* Nasty, thick, black stuff.

I then put one bottle of Wynn's fuel treatment into the tank and some premium diesel from Shell - after putting the premium fuel in the knock that I am facing went away (unfortunately, it has returned now).

Also replaced the two front tyres and put the spare wheel back where it belonged.

Now the MOT requires me to fit a drop link - I am going to replace both.

The Dreaded Knock

View: https://youtu.be/68YFMtUNSRM

This is the dreaded knock that I cannot seem to fix at all, even a mechanic (the bloke at the testing station) failed to identify what it is, the noise occurs both when you press the accelerator pedal and disengage the clutch.

I don't know whether this is at all related but for some reason when I start the car, for a few minutes - say five minutes or so - it does not want to rev above 2000RPM - now this may be a safety feature to protect the engine - but I do think that's highly unlikely. The car feels very sluggish from a cold start - almost as though it were in limp mode - but I find that this can be dangerous (e.g. If I needed to pull away quickly or move and the car was sluggish then that could result in an accident.) Again, this is only for a few minutes...

I'll update this thread regularly - or at least do my best to and I'm thinking of creating a similar one for my Project Z

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
What a difference, and you are well underway to getting an MOT pass
@Faheem
I can't help with the knocking sound-sorry.

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Congratulations with your hard work on the exterior mate I have to say she looks lovely mate but that knocking noise would worry me. Fair play for taking her on board and I hope you manage to get to the bottom if it

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Thanks @DavidM & @Low Rider

The knock is intermittent. But when it's there it is worrying. If it is a Clutch job then I'm more than willing to take it on myself, just hope that the engine isn't dying, usually in the car trade the people you buy a car from tend to be dishonest and will do anything to get rid of the car (at least in all my past experiences, including the bloke I got my zed from).

However, the chap I got this car from (private seller) seemed genuine and he said prior to me noticing anything that he has had this knock since he got the car (the fact that he didn't get it fixed or even checked is something that worrys me)

Low Rider

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Looking at your non Zed I think your Corsa is worth putting in the effort

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
That sounds like the DMF is faulty to me.

Tony.

Tracy Dee

Zorg Guru (III)
The M44 Massive
If it is the dual mass plus a clutch it's going to be expensive and a big job.
I have a Vauxhall combo 13 cdti basically the same.
Mine went into a garage I think it involves removing all the suspension it's a big job.
Biggest cost is the dual mass over £ ,300 alone then a 3 part clutch circa £130 then labour cost plus oils and you always find a few extras that need doing mine needed a new gearbox mount plus both drive shaft seals.
Hope it's not your dual mass as said it's expensive I considered not having mine done but I did in the end.
Good luck hope you find a cheap fix.
Cheers.
Cliff.

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
I will probably be looking at getting a second hand dmf and pressure plate, I'll get the clutch relined and do the job at a friends garage myself. :whistle:=))

Lee

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
M Power
#ZedShed
Model of Z
Z4 Coupe 3.0si
I had one of these tuned to an inch of its life.

75bhp standard 127bhp when I was done. Engine is FIAT origin. I even dragged its ass round the Nurburgring :D

Hybrid the turbo, Larger intercooler, gutted the cat (only joking T-tony ) hours and hours of rolling road, larger injectors, dump valve. I fitted coilovers and found it too hard so fitted audi TT seats and wired the heated seats in :p

It's weak point was the cam chain kept stretching because of the torque. I bought that car new and sold it with 140,000 :p

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
MOT Update & Carbon Clean

The MOT required a new handbrake cable as the old one was completely knackered. Look how badly this one is worn.

IMG_20160916_175451.jpg

It also needed a new drop link, I replaced both but they were a pain to do as the nuts were very, very inaccessible and they'd seized.

Today I was cleaning the EGR Valve and also removing carbon deposits from various hoses as well as the ones leading to the manifold

IMG_20160917_121116.jpg

IMG_20160917_121044.jpg

My hands looked like this by the end.

IMG_20160917_123050.jpg

Performance is a lot better now, prior to this the car would struggle to get up a hill in 1st gear, it wouldn't go faster than 15-20mph but this clean seems to have improved performance significantly. But it's still not where I want it. =))=))

Now the interior will be detailed tomorrow.

DavidM

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Good work sir but you need a pair of gloves!:)

Faheem

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
@DavidM funnily enough I'd actually cleaned my hands a little before taking that picture. =))

I'm absolutely relieved that I'm done for the day. I know I'm going to sleep well tonight :dead: