Preventative maintenance for the Z4?

SilverZed

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Hi all,

Whilst I had my Z3 I trawled the forums for potential issues with a view to carrying out some worthwhile preventative maintenance. The most widely documented issue seemed to be premature failure of the plastic impeller water pump. So as it seemed to be a no brainer I replaced it and slept easier.

My question is what about the Z4? Is there there one (or more) really obvious must do things to avoid a future catastrophe? I presume the water pump issue was resolved by the time the Z4 went into production?

My car is a 3.0 auto first reg July 2003.

All help appreciated,

Deano.

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR
The common list for the Z4 from my own research...

Springs - already broken a rear!
Sticky Steering - problems caused by the electric steering system
Roof drains blocking - ends up flooding the roof motors shorting/rusting them out
3rd brake light breaks on the extreme ends - mine has one end broken off
108 Style 18" alloys. Prone to corroding/rotting

I'm sure there are a couple more I can't remember at the moment...

gookah

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Z3
Some other common problems are:
wipers that park further up the windscreen than where they should. (too much grease inside the motor)
condensation in headlights after changing a lamp (bulb) (seals on the headlight back access panel)
Doors that sound like they are full of pots and pans when you shut them. (extra soundproofing reqd)
Brake calipers that stick
Sticking rollers for roof catches, (in windscreen top rails).
Starter motors not releasing and making a grinding noise.

with a lot of the faults, they will be mostly unpreventable.
However roof drains, roof catches, and resealing headlight access panels could be easy preventions.
Trouble with the roof drain is that damage may have been done prior, and no amount of cleaning drain holes will empty water from the motor housing if it has already overflowed into it. It will sit there rusting away merrily.