Piano black centre console

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Hello folks, I’m looking at refreshing my LHD 2.8 coupe’s centre console. It comes with wood trim as standard that I wrapped with 4g carbon fibre a couple of years ago (I’ve subsequently changed the radio for retro blaupunkt):

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_2135.jpeg

it’s not bad, but not 100%. I’ve ordered some dial rings from a gentleman in Poland to tidy up around the heater controls, however I don’t think this is going to satisfy my OCD!

I know I could fit the facelift console, but I prefer the pre facelift and getting hold of LHD parts at a sensible cost in the UK is proving tricky.

the plan is therefore to pull the console, then paint the wood piano black to hopefully go OEM+.

has anyone else done this. If so, how did it turn out and any pics? Also did you separate the wood from the panel and reassemble or just mask the plastic bits? Grateful for any tips.

DrWong

Zorg Guru (III)
Model of Z
3.0i
Carbon wrap looks like a good job, why don't you just wrap again in piano black? I'd be tempted to keep the option of going back to original in the future, if it was me.

IainP

Zorg Guru (II)
British Zeds
Model of Z
It may seem strange, but I’d check eBay.com, not the UK site. Not only can the cost of bits be cheaper than UK/Europe, but Global shipping can be cheap too. I’ve gotten quite a few things from there.
Selling your own afterwards would likely net you more, the wood option is rare in good condition. Also, the cigarette lighter on the left is actually more useful in UK cars as people want to fit usb adapters, as you have.
I skinned mine in carbon, not hugely successfully, I’m still fiddling with it. The top surface of the console panels are different from the underneath, though you’d expect it to be one material. It sands quite well, but it would need some sort of dedicated primer, or adhesion promoter before painting.

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
It may seem strange, but I’d check eBay.com, not the UK site. Not only can the cost of bits be cheaper than UK/Europe, but Global shipping can be cheap too. I’ve gotten quite a few things from there.
Selling your own afterwards would likely net you more, the wood option is rare in good condition. Also, the cigarette lighter on the left is actually more useful in UK cars as people want to fit usb adapters, as you have.
I skinned mine in carbon, not hugely successfully, I’m still fiddling with it. The top surface of the console panels are different from the underneath, though you’d expect it to be one material. It sands quite well, but it would need some sort of dedicated primer, or adhesion promoter before painting.
good thought on eBay.com, will check it out.

unfortunately LHD vs RHD frames are different and whilst the top panel is universal, the bottom is LHD specific and as a whole slightly canted to the driver.

might just see how it looks with the dial rings and make a judgement call from there. Typically if I had a RHD it would be significantly more straightforward.

thanks for the thoughts.

as400

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
Model of Z
2.8 Widebody
Not keen on carbon in a retro car.

As per Dr Wong, wrap again in the piano...trying to paint it by hand certainly isn't something I would try!...but good luck to you if that's the route you are going to follow.

DomiMik

Zorg Guru (II)
German Zeds
unfortunately LHD vs RHD frames are different and whilst the top panel is universal, the bottom is LHD specific and as a whole slightly canted to the driver.
It's not, don't buy a LHD top panel even if it might be cheaper. Although they look very similar, it has a slightly different shape / angle which won't fit the RHD lower panel, you'll end up with a nasty gap between the two panels and/or it will be difficult to install them.

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
Thanks for the heads up on that, I suspect that you just saved me a massive headache!!

GDavis

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 facelift. Z3 3.0i
It's a personal thing but I DO like the carbon fibre ...especially useful if the original has not fared all that well.
Where did you get yours as it needs to be very thin to be dressed around all the changes in the shape.

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
It was literally just what I liked the look of on EBay a couple of years ago. The heater dial rings have now arrived ( along with a replacement OBC that reads in mpg and miles as opposed to km) and the plan is to get both fitted in the coming weeks when the weather improves.
I’m thinking to keep the existing wrap for the time being, but if it looks tatty or I get bored of it I’ll pull the console, strip it and get the wood painted piano black at a mate’s bodyshop.
Once I’ve got the dial rings in place I’ll post an updated pic.

Garsington

Dedicated Member
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Coupe
IMG_3369.jpeg

Well that took a little longer to get around to than expected!

uk computer now fitted together with dial rings.

The Rings from eBay aren’t designed to fit with the wood trim despite all manner of brute force, so ended up cutting slots with a dremel in the rear lip and using a little adhesive to attach. I think they look like they belong and am very happy with the result for now.

Also took the opportunity to unplug the Japanese reverse warning from the gong under centre console. Sounds just like parking sensors, which I’m used to having, but obviously doesn’t ever change tone irrespective of what’s nearby! Was an accident waiting to happen for my small brain!!