Welcome to ZRoadster.org - BMW Z1 Z4 Z8 Z3 Forum and Technical Database

If you want to join in with the discussion, and see the areas which are available only to members then sign up now!

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance Clutch for Z3 2.8

Discussion in 'Performance' started by PeterJ, Sep 20, 2013.

1. PeterJ

PeterJ Zorg Legend
    Hong Kong Zeds

Model of Z:
    Z3 2.8 Roadster M52B28
    Hi there,
    I have a 1998 M52B28 upgraded to an estimated 260BHP through a quaiffe Diff with 3.38 Final drive ratio. I had my Z3 converted from Auto to Manual a couple of years ago with a new standard OEM clutch and a gearbox from a 528. I would like to improve the clutch engagement when doing fast starts from rest at high rpm (just for fun, not a track car). The other day I dropped the clutch at about 6000rpm (rev limiter set around 7,300 with custom remap) ... & the result was 'clutch slip' (& intense burning smell!) and no wheel spin with engine & felt the engine increase to 7000rpm without increasing road speed. I have been told that 6000 rpm is too much for a clutch drop start & that I will just burn out the clutch trying....
    Should I upgrade the clutch (not burnt out yet as can still spin the wheels at lower rpm starts)? I guess I think I should, but to what? Ideally I would like a clutch that drops straight into my set up without significant mods ... perhaps an M3 clutch? perhaps a branded clutch upgrade, but I have to say I am quite confused ... should I go for an Aluminium flywheel? ...some say yes, others say no coz they rattle? ... seems I should just go for single plate ... I don't mind a little bit stiffer than OEM, but must be comfortable to drive on the street ... seems many brands & set ups to go for ... eg: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/LFWLE36SH.htm or a stage 3+ (?) SPEC http://www.specclutch.com/products any advice most appreciated and would be interested to know if anyone else has done such an upgrade and what they used and how they found it? Thanks