Original Key

The M44 Massive
Model of Z
What type of BMW key was the original key style from BMW.

My 1997 Z3 comes with Type 2 keys but my owners manual clearly shows Type 1 keys - before I commit to new keys via eBay I'd like to know which keys are more authentic... what sort of original Z3 keys came with your car - Type 1, Type 2 or another type (please provide a pic)?

Attachments

The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Wow. An early type. Can source the keys but not the remotes.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Don't bother with the remotes, as far as I am concerned, they are as big as house bricks and I don't use them.
I kind of get a bit of satisfaction of locking and unlocking the car the old fashioned way.........

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
Type 1 keys in your pic are for slightly later cars I believe post October 1998 came with these keys and they have a totally different alarm system and will not work on your Z. Are you sure the key in your Type 2 pic is what you have or is it more like what Mike has posted as that is what you should have. Type 2 keys are for even later BMW's like the Z4. Do the remote buttons work on the key and lock/unlock the doors.?

The remotes or bricks as Mike affectionately refers to them do come up on ebay from time to time and if functioning can be coded to the EWS alarm system on early cars as that is what I did when I got my latest Z3 as it only came with one. Don't worry if they look tatty as new cases are quite cheap and rejuvenate them to as new condition.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport
Our 2.0L Z3 has the Type 1 key and our E85 Z4 has the type 2 key, so Aceman is right, be careful to make sure before you buy from Ebay!:nailbiting:
M & S

The M44 Massive
Model of Z
The plot thickens. The original key I was supplied with my Z was an old, busted, Type 2 key. Then the ex owner was nice enough to mail me a spare key she found at her parent's place. It is in fact a fourth type of key as per the attached pic.

So I have a working Type 2 key (no remote buttons working) and a key as per attached with no buttons whatsoever.

Anyone know how to code a new key as per this type of early non-remote key..?

Attachments

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster
The only place you can correctly get a key coded so the immobiliser is disarmed is to buy a key from BMW as from what I understand the cars ECU has around 10 keys already coded into it and only BMW hold the list of codes that your car will have. If over the years more than 10 keys are lost then I don't think you can obtain anymore as BMW will not re-issue any previously coded keys.

It is possible that the type 2 key you have has had the blade cut to fit your ignition barrel which is easily done and the immobiliser chip surgically removed from a previous key and reinserted into the type 2 key, the fact that the remote buttons do not work proves my thoughts that this key was probably bought off ebay and adapted to work albeit without remote locking/alarm functions.

The M44 Massive
Model of Z
I will try Bmw first. I have two working keys, one a Type 2 destructible key, so I can get at the chip if need be.

Richard Dunsbury

The M44 Massive
The West Country
Model of Z
Hi ive bought keys from a really good guy on ebay he is (BM keys) might be worth messaging him i had spare keys made and programmed for my z3 and 320 msport diesel a great job at a fraction of the normal cost keys work fine

Stormy_be

Zorg Guru (II)
Belgian Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 2.8 Roadster
I have only 1 type 1 key (for my '99 2.8).
Still don't know how to get a second one with the immobilizer chip and an uncut blade (which I then easy can have cut the same as the key I have)

Regards, Koen