How To Guide Organising an Event.

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
The Forum needs you 👉

The question was recently posed "can anybody organise and Event?".

The answer is yes, you can. Events come in a number of formats from a meet in a carpark over coffee to European Cruises and Static Events. Technically you'll need to inform the Police for such an event, however, the answer I get is "thanks and enjoy your day". Plod have more pressing issues to deal with.

What to do should you want to organise a group drive out.

1. Pick a date or dates

2. Consult your map to gain a picture of your drive.

3. Use a platform such as myroute App (or similar) to plot your route.

4. Plot your route with multiple whey points and upload to your SatNav.

5. Drive the route to ensure it takes you on the plotted route (note and correct any route deviations later). Driving the route also gets you familiar with the route and how long it takes including rest stops.

6. Highlight sufficient stops along the route for refreshment and comfort breaks (note parking size and parking costs if required)

Once this is done you can pick a date or dates if over a weekend. Single day runs are generally run on a Sunday with a 10am start and a 4pm finish to allow attendees time to arrive and get home at a reasonable time. Place your event in the Events Section (try not to trump other organised events).

Provide a start and finish point (if different) with a SatNav address and name of the Start point to aid navigation.

Highlight any Toll Charges on your route, if any, so all are aware.

Copy and paste the route(s) into your main thread so attendees can see and download it.

Inform attendees to be fuelled up for the start.

You'll need to provide a pre drive brief so have personnel arrive for 09:30 for a 10:00 start where you can brief accordingly.

Keep group numbers sensible as you don't want to be a rolling road block and if necessary split into groups with a nominated pre-briefed Group Leader.

General info to be briefed;

1. Keep up with the car in front
2. Keep the car behind in view and slow down if they slow down, this will transmit to the group leader that there may be an issue that requires a stop (at a safe place).
3. Rear end car to have his/her lights on to delineate the end of the Convoy.
4. Advise of any single track roads

It's a good idea to provide a few places to stop for those traveling from further away. Premier in or hotel SatNav postcode with name and a couple of petrol stations.

If your rocking up with multiple cars with two up it's courtesy to contact/visit your stops to let them know so they can organise accordingly. State whether it's a coffee and cake stop or lunch stop, you may need to pre book.

If running more than one group leave at 10 minute intervals minimum and stick to the speed limit. This will give you time for photo stops without the other group catching up (where safe to stop).

Weekend Drives.

All of the above applies but you'll need to organise accommodation. Hotel/Premier Inn and put up in the main thread the Web Site and address. You can just let attendees organise their own accommodation or do it yourself to get a cheaper group booking (the latter option comes with an associated health warning!). You'll need to highlight to the Hotel that there are X amount in the same group that may all want to eat at the same time etc.

Pick a number of attendees, 10 as an example and highlight a reserve section should people drop out.

Keep the main thread up to date with information and communicate specific messages via PM, this keeps the thread cleaner.

On the day of the Event, or before, place a thread in the Events Write-up Section so everybody can pop their pics etc in.

Enjoy. Give me a shout as I've done the Lakes Tour for the past seven years.

Andy.

MuttyMax

Zorg Legend
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44 and 2.8
Andy thanks for the update. I've come up with about 3-4 routes and will endeavour to follow the guidelines. When you normally drive the route do you normally just do this by yourself? Think of inviting another member along just for the mapping exercise and the boredom factor. LOL

andyglym

Shiny Dust Caps Make Your Zed Go Faster.
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
2.8 Roadster
Andy thanks for the update. I've come up with about 3-4 routes and will endeavour to follow the guidelines. When you normally drive the route do you normally just do this by yourself? Think of inviting another member along just for the mapping exercise and the boredom factor. LOL
My most recent run out to check my routes was with @Mint , both SatNavs gave the thumbs up đź‘Ť

Mint

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.2 & 3.0 Sport
Great guide Andy :thumbsup:

Stevo7682

Zorg Expert (I)
Supporter
The M44 Massive
Scottish Zeds
Model of Z
Z3 Individual Dakar / Orinoco Individual
Some great information there Andy will be a great source of information for others who are thinking of organising a run in their local area and gives avoid insight into what's involved in putting a proper run together.
Stephen.