Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
. . . . this happened!

20180209_172622.jpg
20180209_172628.jpg

I hit a bird as was overtaking a car and it hit my mirror and knocked the glass off. :mad:

Tony.

Bozzy

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
Model of Z
3 2.8
That was a stroke of bad of luck mate, that's the sort of thing would p***s me off :(.

On another note, your poor zed looks like it's been in a jungle rally stage :eek:.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
Bad luck.

Is that the original mirror Tony?

Driving home I noticed my drivers mirror was starting to drop off. Slowed down to about 10mph, reached out and just as I was getting hold of it it slipped through my fingers, dropped on the floor and bounced, rebounded up into the air still in one piece and then went under the rear wheel :mad:

The BMW part is something like £112 :(
Replacements off ebay don't seem to fit properly, use a different mount and are also prone to dropping off.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Bad luck.

Is that the original mirror Tony?

Driving home I noticed my drivers mirror was starting to drop off. Slowed down to about 10mph, reached out and just as I was getting hold of it it slipped through my fingers, dropped on the floor and bounced, rebounded up into the air still in one piece and then went under the rear wheel :mad:

The BMW part is something like £112 :(
Replacements off ebay don't seem to fit properly, use a different mount and are also prone to dropping off.
I'm guessing it was the original one Ian, sadly Ill have to try a cheap aftermarket one for the time being. @Jjim was lucky not to loose his on the roof motor day at home. He notice his was loose and he removed it and I gave him some 3M double sided tape which came home from Florida (Walmart) and he refitted it. The sticky heated pad is still there so at least I can try just a stick on glass.

Tony.

Redline

Zorg Expert (I)
British Zeds
Model of Z
E89 20i msport
I'm guessing it was the original one Ian, sadly Ill have to try a cheap aftermarket one for the time being. @Jjim was lucky not to loose his on the roof motor day at home. He notice his was loose and he removed it and I gave him some 3M double sided tape which came home from Florida (Walmart) and he refitted it. The sticky heated pad is still there so at least I can try just a stick on glass.

Tony.
Am sure I bought a large sheet of double sided stick on pad. Didn't use it in the end. I guess some heat resistant adhesive would be better. In fact, I have some I used to put the glass front on the oven when it popped off a couple of years ago. Would be ideal I would have thought. Forgotten I had that.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
When I got home the backing was still toasty =)) Might be worth having a look in the morning as I was on the right hand side of the road?

Tony.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Driving down one of our narrow Dutch roads with parked cars on either side in my Merc, I met a city bus.
I had nowhere to go and it kept coming straight at me and took out my wing mirror.
I stopped further up the road and walked back to look for it, found it in bits.
No point in trying to claim from these people.

Went to the Merc stealer and crapped myself when I was told what a new one would cost.
Being the naughty boy that I am, I parked on the road just out side the entrance to our drill pipe yard, got the lad on the forklift to park up with his ass just not touching the car, promised him a couple of pints, told the boss that the lad had just knocked my mirror off by accident.
Result, boss sent me to the stealer to get it fixed .... :ymdevil:

Ianmc

Zorg Guru (IV)
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z3 (M44)
My daughter would ask, "how is the bird?":whistle:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
So, if you're thinking of picking a fight with a blackbirds, my advice will be don't or you could end up with some of these.:(
20180210_145334.jpg
20180210_145328.jpg
20180210_145319.jpg

Don't know if they'll polish out, look a bit deep.:mad:.

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Anyway. The new one is in place. I cleaned the face with brake cleaner and dried it (and warmed it) with my heat gun. Quickly stuck it on then got a piece of wood I'd wrapped in paper towel and some cable ties to let it stick well overnight.
20180210_160203.jpg
20180210_160214.jpg

Tony.

Last edited:

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

Paul Rice

Zorg Guru (V)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
Z4 2.5
Should put a sticker on the mirror Tony, stop it shattering!

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
I've got some carbon vinyl ................ ;)

Tony.

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto

t-tony

Zorg Expert (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
#ZedShed
Model of Z
E89 Z4 23i Auto
Not your birthday today. Special occasion?=))=))

Tony.

hard top

Zorg Expert (I)
Dutch Zeds
The M44 Massive
Not your birthday today.
Speaking of which, as a present, I was given a brand new mobile phone in its box with all the trimmings.
I cant get the bloody back off it to add the SIM Card and battery.
Think someone is taking the pish .... :mad: