Obligatory shout out to Shawn (exMx5)

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
That crazy Aussie @ExMX5owner just put me back on track and just wanted to thank him.

I was offered a stolen and recovered Z3, that some scumbags started to strip from all mechanical parts but were arrested before they were able to dismantle the body panels and interiors.
Was intending to buy it sight unseen for 1.000 euros and turn it into a frankenstein S54 track car and was so keen to do this that had ommited every rule of purchasing.
My friend Shawn, sent over the other side of the world his wisdom and I backed up on this plan, so I have to thank him.
The parts were stripped with the use of a torch and a grinder, so even looking pretty neat as a car, underneath was a total nightmare full of holes and missing almost half of the floor.
So my advice to everyone is that before you jump into any project, share with a friend or two and listen... you will definitely benefit from them.

Cheers Mate.

Mus Musculus

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
The M44 Massive
Model of Z
1.9 M44
Was intending to buy it sight unseen for 1.000 euros and turn it into a frankenstein S54 track car and was so keen to do this that had ommited every rule of purchasing
I am glad you backed out from that. I would never buy anything sight unseen, but I know how we can lower our guard sometimes.

Even when you go and see stuff (car, house, etc.), it's still possible to miss the issues. Ask me how I know this… ;)

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
That crazy Aussie @ExMX5owner just put me back on track and just wanted to thank him.

I was offered a stolen and recovered Z3, that some scumbags started to strip from all mechanical parts but were arrested before they were able to dismantle the body panels and interiors.
Was intending to buy it sight unseen for 1.000 euros and turn it into a frankenstein S54 track car and was so keen to do this that had ommited every rule of purchasing.
My friend Shawn, sent over the other side of the world his wisdom and I backed up on this plan, so I have to thank him.
The parts were stripped with the use of a torch and a grinder, so even looking pretty neat as a car, underneath was a total nightmare full of holes and missing almost half of the floor.
So my advice to everyone is that before you jump into any project, share with a friend or two and listen... you will definitely benefit from them.

Cheers Mate.
Your most welcome Stam, wish I knew you when I bought my Z..=))..I may have seen the error in my ways, and stuck with my MX5.. But I have dismantled a few cars myself, not stolen ones of course..but yes . Oxy Acetylene and a big hammer, is the way to go. If you do not need the shell... I,m guessing it still has a perfectly good instrument binnacle with a cover on it, that makes me want to cry....😢.

Edit, my MX was an NA, I have not seen one on the road since I sold mine...Pop up headlights.

Last edited:

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The interior was perfect. Almost new.
Always wanted a popeye mazda but back in the day, Alfa Spiders were so cheap that it just did not make any sense to buy one when you could have a rust free Alfa for peanuts.
Unfortunately I am never coming back to the Z for a daily, ever since I got the Mx5 (and lets be honest, its a two years old car, who would?) but always have my eyes open for a cheap one with more than 150hp to use as a track beater.
too bad it did not work out, I was hyped, had some thoughts to make a V8 and scare myself to death and was so obsessed that even searched to see if that V12 prototype they once made could be done with less than 10k. (one of my silly ideas again).
anyway, lets see what comes my way in the future.

ExMX5owner

Staff member
Global Moderator
Supporter
Australian Zeds
WTF? Did they make such a thing?

And on another note, I remember reading on some American BMW forum about some loon over there that fitted a V12 in a Z3. And then turbod it.:eek: It was quite a while ago, but it's the nature of the interweb to save things forever, so may still be there.
there was a prototype. only one made apparently.... I mean.... Damn...
Hood_of_the_prototype_V12_Z3.jpg

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
It still exists somewhere, apparently it didn't make any more BHP than an ///M would, had more torque lowdown than the ///M version though. The American one was built by some bloke in a shed by himself, in the finest tradition of, well, blokes in sheds.
A few moments later....

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
The V8 in the prototype had 280 kW (380 hp) at 5,300 rpm, Torque: 550 Nm at 4,000. Only one magazine had the chance to drive it and I remember that they said it was a near death experience.
Digging now to the link @the Nefyn cat just posted....

I have to say I am tempted to end my marriage and probably my life with a project like that. I will be called the final foly....

the Nefyn cat

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
Actually in Nefyn. My, that took a while.
Model of Z
2.2i Sport
Dig away, it's what the interweb is for. If you were to complete such a project you may well turn up at the gates of heaven/hell (delete which one is not applicable) sideways and screaming, but things could be worse.
Could turn up in a Metro.:whistle:

Zephyr

Zorg Guru (III)
Supporter
Dig away, it's what the interweb is for. If you were to complete such a project you may well turn up at the gates of heaven/hell (delete which one is not applicable) sideways and screaming, but things could be worse.
Could turn up in a Metro.:whistle:
I am such a dreamer that I already started calculating the cost of such a project.. An exact copy of the original would probably cost more than a new M5, but as I get older and sexually defunct, I am thinking about leaving some sort of legacy behind....