Noob...

Gigsy

Greetings all,

Picked up a 97 2.8 Z3 in Dragon Green with 80k miles on it at the weekend.

My wife has had a hankering for one for a while and as I love a soft-top and like to get my hands dirty with a bit of maintenance/upgrading/modding, a "fixer-upper" Z3 seemed to fit the bill quite well.

After looking on the usual sites for a while we came across ours. The description seemed to fit the bill for what we wanted (i.e. something that was essentially straight but that needed a little tlc) so we duly bid and won.

Wasn't 100% sure what to expect when we went to collect it - I was expecting to have to do some work on it but wasn't sure how much. However it looks like we've done quite well for ourselves - the engine runs perfectly and there are no nasty noises from the suspension, the hood is tidy (and works) even the bodywork is in good condition with only a handful of chips and little parking marks.

The steering seems OK to though I think the bushes are starting to get a little tired as it's a little vague but still reasonably accurate and doesn't seem to tramline so I'll start by replacing the rear bushes on the front arms and work my way from there I think. The only negatives so far are with the drivers seat which has a bit of a rip by the seat belt guide and worn bushes so moves a bit - have ordered a set off the shop here to fix that though :)

As for me, I'm a reasonably active member on a few Subaru forums, and currently run a subtly tweaked Impreza WRX wagon (no nasty body kits or super loud exhausts I might add!). Having previously owned 2 other Imprezas and a Forester so most of my recent knowledge is with turbo'd flat fours and AWD but prior to Subarus, I ran a few Pug GTis (205, 306, 206) and more recently we've had a Leon FR TSFi and a couple of Mini Cooper S (one hard top, one soft top) - there's a much longer list than that but I'll save it for my footer! :)

I'll no doubt find a few jobs as our ownership progresses and I'm sure this site will become a mecca for help and assistance.

Looking forward to learning about the Z3 and having a bit of fun with RWD :)

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew
Welcome! I also have a lil soft spot for the subaru wrx, had a 95 prodrive edition a few years back, great motor.
You'll love working on the zed there so easy to work on..

Enjoy it and Post up some more pics! :D

board

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
British Zeds
M Power
Model of Z
M Roadster
Big warm welcome to the forum and it sounds like you did well with the purchase :)

Have you seen the zed fest stuff that's coming up very quickly in July?

HornelZ3M

Zorg Addict
Supporter
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z3M Roadster
Welcome mate. nice colour and looks well looked after. good find ;)

Snoops

Zorg Addict
Model of Z
HI and
to Zorg from me,

Great colour and choice of engine- from one who might be a little bit biased :D

Have you seen the Zedfest Link it's the place to be this July if you own a Zed and the opportunity to do a parade lap of Silverstone in your new P&J. :-bd

Gigsy

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Will definitely check out the ZedFest link and see if I can persuade the other half - we went to the MINI 50th birthday at Silverstone when we had our soft-top Cooper S and she and the kids had a great time so she'll hopefully be up for it.

Will definitely sorts some extra photos out of the Zed once I get some time to give the car a full inspection / clean & polish.