New Z but should i buy it

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
I'am thinking of buying this car its a 2001 2.2 its a good price but there are a few problems with it what do people think

Si-forks on tapatalk

Macca

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.5l Msport
Re: New Z but should i buy it

I can't see a price ? Anyway, I think with the new MOT rules the light that's on will fail. I'm also not sure about the cluster!! If the price is right it may be worth a look.

EnthuZiaZT

Zorg Guru (V)
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
Z4 28i Msport

Hi Si-forks

Looking at the car in an unbiased way, If its cheap enough and you like the modifications then buy it. Always look at it from the point of view that you might want to spend money on it correcting somebody elses ideas and altering it to you own taste. Make a mental note of how much it will cost to bring it round to your standard and add that to the price, then decide if you can afford it or not. :-bd

r37

Dedicated Member

i personally wouldnt buy it because of the light. It might be something like a sensor like he says, but if its a crank sensor or something its not a cheap part and a pita to replace. If you have access to a fault code reader i'd take it along. Paintwork and stonechips arnt a major issue.

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
The car looks in good nick and could get it for as little as £2500

Si-forks on tapatalk

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds

Hi si-forks.
As said above you havnt posted the asking price! It seems you already have doubts about it, have you looked at others to compare with? If you do like the car there's nothing to stop you making an offer and take the repair
costs out of the asking price!! It all depends what the asking price is if you fancy it...

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds

Just seen your new post and pics.....£2500 for a z3m..... :-q

heath

Model of Z
Z3 2.0 individual
Going by the pictures it looks nice & its a very good price for the year. The only thing I would be concerned about is why he has not got the sensor fault repaired in 2 years yet he has spent quite a bit on getting other things sorted, it just seems a bit strange. As said though take a fault code reader with to find out whats putting the engine light on. He has said that its been reset a few times & comes back on but still doesnt actually say what the fault is although he must know what it is if its been plugged in a few times. Just be carefull its not going to end up costing the price of a fault & hastle free car

Heath on Tapatalk

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
Thanks for the replies its the engine light that's bothering me the most, like heath said why has it not been fixed in 2 years ? what's the worst it can be ? May give me an idea of cost .Oh yes and did i say its 170 miles from me !

Si-forks on tapatalk

heath

Model of Z
Z3 2.0 individual
Why not give him a call & ask which sensor, see if he can give you a straight answer as he says in his advert he is being completely honest. If he cant tell you the exact problem & works his way around the question then I would leave it. I have a feeling it could be something major thats why its not been fixed & he hasn't said in the advert what it is. If he was totally honest he would have said what it is

Heath on Tapatalk

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
E-mailed the seller today and this is the reply :
Its the orange "Engine light for the exhaust emissions have deteriorated" warning light and has not failed any MOT's on it. The chap at the garage said that BMW's are a pain in the a*** for warning lights, and since it was just the fuel mixture light and no issues with the emissions since then not too worry about it too much, the original fault was code E3. As the emissions have all been fine since 11/08/10 I have just left it. It does reset but come back on after a few days, I did not want to get it reset again or as some would have done and take out the bulb, I am being honest about it. From what i understand new MOT is for dashboard warning lights that show a problem such as Airbags, Electric Power Steering, Electonic stability sytem and additional restraint systems; since this light is not related to restraint systems and all the relevant emissions tests are good it should not be a problem. It has had 2 MOT's since with no emission problems.

Si-forks on tapatalk

GazHyde

Administrator
Administrator
Global Moderator
M Power
Model of Z
Z4 MR

After reading that email, I guess it's down to whether you think the seller is being genuine or not. Most people would be put off by the description, but if you are looking for a project car then this does sound like a good price for what it is. Certainly give you plenty to tinker with ;)

I've seen less honest adverts and turned up to see some howlers, so at least you are aware in advance.

heath

Model of Z
Z3 2.0 individual
E3 is oxygen sensor but could also be a vaccuum leak such as induction pipe or any pipes off the inlet manifold or even manifold gasket leak or crack. Going by his email he seems quite knowledgeable so I would think he has tried to fix it but cant find the problem especially with saying a mechanic has looked at it so it doesnt look like he can find the problem either. The thing that concerns me is that he is selling it cheap with a problem, why has he not got it sorted to sell it for a good price

Heath on Tapatalk

zedwheels

Zorg Guru (IV)
Supporter
British Zeds

Hi si-forks, seen the add with the M mentioned but didnt regiter your note 2.2.... I had a senior moment!! :-B
As said i should have gone to specsavers!!! Car looks good and price reasonable but???

Aceman

British Zeds
3rd Party Trader
Model of Z
///M Roadster

TBH if you can get it for the price you say and do the basics like a HPI report mainly to make sure there isn't any finance outstanding on it and been written off at some point then just an additional check on the VOSA website for previous MOT's to check mileage is correct I would say go for it.

It's alot of car for that money I would say if it checks out ok.

si-forks

Dedicated Member
Model of Z
He said he's selling the car because he's just got a Z3m which makes me think he could have time to fix the 2.2 and sell for a better price surely its worth £4k fixed ,its up for £2750 ? Think i will spend abit more and look for a better car

Si-forks on tapatalk

Macca

Zorg Guru (II)
Supporter
British Zeds
East Anglian Crew
Model of Z
2.5l Msport

si-forks said:
He said he's selling the car because he's just got a Z3m which makes me think he could have time to fix the 2.2 and sell for a better price surely its worth £4k fixed ,its up for £2750 ? Think i will spend abit more and look for a better car

Si-forks on tapatalk
A wise choice if you ask me.

z3cade

Zorg Guru (III)
East Anglian Crew

The M seats alone are worth £500... seems very cheap! maybe a bargin but you would need to see and drive it to tell if its a good one...